cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alanmcgrath
Creator
Creator

Variable definition now shows value instead of expression

I have a QVW where I have set several variables in the variable overview.  All of these I set as expressions.  This has worked fine for the past several months but this month when I reloaded the data the variables now just show the value and no longer the expression.  Has anyone had this happen before and know how to fix it?  I did not change any script so no clue as to why this happened and now the qvw is not working properly.

19 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you share your script with everyone? As you mention it is after the reload that the variable definitions have been replaced by values so that does point to something in the script causing this although I note you mentioning you don't reference these variables in the load script. It seems very strange indeed.

alanmcgrath
Creator
Creator
Author

I've exported the script and posted to the original message. The only thing not there is the hidden script for the section access. Thanks!

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I vaguely remember some pretty old discussions that reported similar, like for example

Lost of variable content

(I think there were some few more discussions, but couldn't find it right now).

Do you have any backups of your application that still show the variables (if so, there are methods to export and import the variables into your latest version)?

alanmcgrath
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes I have an older version from a few months back.  How can I export from there an import into the latest?

alanmcgrath
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks!! This is going to be a life saver!

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

We'll be curious to know if the problem returns after the next reload. Let us know.

-Rob

alanmcgrath
Creator
Creator
Author

Well the import of the variables worked fine for my copy on my laptop but once I deploy to the server it is still not working as expected; When I apply the filters, the metrics are not updating as they should. I'm hoping that moving the variables into the script and reloading will fix the problem.  Is it a better practice to put variables in the script than in the variable overview?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

When I apply the filters, the metrics are not updating as they should.

They don't update at all or they do, but showing unexpected results?

alanmcgrath
Creator
Creator
Author

They don't update at all