Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Variables combining data from script and from GUI

Hi,

I know I can define variables in the script so that they are populated dynamically on the GUI, based on the user's selections.

But now I have to combine both ways:

- I have to assemble an email_distribution_list from names in an Excel_file;

- These lists go into a button to trigger an email (like a URL); That URL can take some information for the header - and that piece of
    information is based on the user's selections, thus it can be populated only on the GUI.

Sounds easy - but I cannot get it to work.

The code to define variables for populating with values from the GUI is like this

>> SET v_myvariable = = Getfieldselections(field1); <<

A URL for an email to be triggered by a button on the GUI has to look like this

>> 'mailto:firstname.lastname@domain.com?subject=bla bla blub;' <<

The trick is, the email can also take some information from the app, thus it can look like this

>> 'mailto:firstname.lastname@domain.com?subject=bla bla blub Info ' & Info; << (where Info is the name of a field and because of the user's selections, there is only one value to that field)

<=> I cannot seem to be able to combine these in the script.

I am trying to do this, first defining the GUI_variable

- SET v_myvar = = Info;

... and then appending this to my email_distribution_list

- LET v_email_list = 'mailto:[valid_and_tested_list]' & '?subject=bla bla blub ; Info ' & Info & ';'

Can anyone understand what's wrong with this syntax? I guess it's to do with the '=' that I need for any variables that are supposed to be populated on the GUI; But I don't know how to get rid of this.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Reply
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hmmm ... I have found a workaround insofar as some more code can be added to this on the GUI;

I'd still like to know how this could be done ...