cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weighted average

Hi,

I have this challenge where I would like to calculate the average of product time across products (a, b, c).

The simple avg function gives me the average (10 + 100 + 300) / 3  =  137.

But i want the weighted average where sales quantity is taken into account: (10/90)*10 + (30/90)*100 + (50/90)*300 = 201.

How do i write an expression for this?`

/ Michael

yearmonthproductsales quantityproduct time
2016augusta1010
2016augustb30100
2016augustc50300
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Or may be this if this has to be done for multiple periods

Sum(Aggr(Sum([sales quantity])/Sum(TOTAL <year, month> [sales quantity]) * Sum([product time]), year, month, product))

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MarcoWedel

Hi,

one solution might be:

=Sum(Aggr([sales quantity]/Sum(TOTAL [sales quantity])*[product time], product))

QlikCommunity_Thread_232130_Pic1.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_232130_Pic3.JPG

hope this helps

regards

Marco

sunny_talwar

Sum(Aggr(Sum([sales quantity])/Sum(TOTAL <year, month> [sales quantity]) * Sum([product time]), year, month, product))

effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Michael,

This is how I interpret your requirements:

month product =Sum([sales quantity]*[product time])/Sum(TOTAL [sales quantity])
augusta1.1111111111111
augustb33.333333333333
augustc166.66666666667

Kind regards

Andrew

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks alot for your input guys - it was very helpful.

Kind regards

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for your answer.

I have now the correct result for each month, but the wrong value for the year in total. I'm using a straight table with the month as the dimension.

The year total is just the average across months (238), and not the weighted average (246) where sales quantity is taken into account. So it is kind of the same problem as before. Can I somehow get the correct weighted average in the total row in a straight table.

janfebmaraprmayjunjulaug sepTotalTotal average should be weighted average
Average product time150170180190200300350201400238246
Sales quantity8065707585909090100745

Kind regards,

Michael

sunny_talwar

How exactly are you coming up with 246? I don't have the raw data to determine, but can you explain what the logic behind this calculations needs to be? Also, if possible can you provide a sample? It would be much easier to resolve this if we can take a look at it in a sample qvw file.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi, Sunny

!

Here is a sample of my problem. These are some new random numbers, so 246 is not the result anymore.

The general issue is, that I want my total to be the "year-to-date" average (201,64) and not the average across the averages in each month (199). Can that be achieved?

I guess i could put a text box above the chart's total cell, but I was hoping for a better solution.

Also, I don't think that an expression for each month and one for the total is an option either, because I need several other rows in the chart.

I hope this makes any sense to you

haribabugv
Creator
Creator

Hello Sunny

How to use the below weighted average expression between two time periods?

My below expression is for a text box and i am getting error

if(date(Date) >= '$(vStart)' and date(Date) <= '$(vEnd)',Sum(Aggr(Sum(Actual * Quantity)/Sum(Actual),Class))))

Sunny Talwar &lt;span class=&quot;icon-status-icon icon-mvp&quot; title=&quot;Mvp&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt; wrote:

stalwar1

sudhakar_budde
Creator
Creator

Hi Michael,

I am facing the same challenge where the weighted avg don't role up as weighted avg from month to year!

Did you find the solution at the end?

Can you please put me in a right direction?

Thanks

SB