Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What does the stars in a set analysis statement mean?

Hi all,

I am quite new to qlikview.

I have made my first qlikview application and it shows sales for a specific month compared with that mont previos year.

What does the * after Year, Month and Year Week mean (I have highligthed them in red)?

sum({$< Year={"$(= max(Year)-1)"},   P_Counter= {"$(= max(PeriodCounter)-12)"}  ,Year={"*"},Month={"*"},[Year Week]={"*"}    >}

Best regards,

T

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

hi you can try

Sum({<Annee={$(=Max(Annee))}>}  Mont) / Sum({<Annee={$(=Max(Annee)-1)}>}  Montant)

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for a fast reply!

But what do the stars really do if you describe it in words?

/T

swuehl
MVP
MVP

It's a wildcard.

So your element set for Year is equal to all possible values in field Year, same for Month and [Year Week].

hope this helps,

Stefan

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Usually the "*" means "all values".

Sum({$< Year = {$(=Max(Year)-1)}, P_Counter = {$(=Max(PeriodCounter)-12)} >} SomeFieldHere)

In set analysis, that * means all possible values for the specified set, and usually you don't need to use them, because that's the default behavior, meaning it will take all values in Year and Month and [Year Week] regardless you specify the "*" or not.

Using quotes in set analysis is as well important, if a value is numeric, don't use quotes, otherwise QlikView will interpret all numeric values as literals taking longer than needed. You can read further on quotes and syntax in set analysis in the Reference Manual and in this post, among many others.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Thx, now I understand it!

What a great forum!