Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What questions need to ask?

Dear All,

I have 2 years of qlikview development experience.

now I joined in new company.  Where the company doesn't have any documentations or architecture diagram or Requirement Document.

To understand their structure what questions I need to ask.  I can't understand what to do now.  because i have only back end development experience with little front end knowledge.  And all the qlikview team has limited knowledge at workplace.

detail answers will be more appreciated.

thanks in advance.

regards,

Heema

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

That is a very open question, but you could approach it something like this.

Presuming they have AccessPoint, you should be able to see what dashboard qvw's they have and for each of them you could ask things like things like:

• Who uses it ?
  • Why do they use it ?
  • What data is in it ?
  • What QVD's do they use to load it ?

They must also have data sources which hopefully feed into QVD generator qvw's, then for each QVD generator you could ask things like :

• What are the data sources ?
  • What transformations are done to the data ?
  • Why are these transformations done ?
  • What QVD's are produced ?

Then you should be able to draw a diagram / flow chart of all the :

• Data sources
  • QVD Generator qvw's
  • QVD's
  • Dashboard qvw's
  • People

Don't worry if the diagram is less than perfect, the imperfections should hopefully prod you into what other questions need to be asked.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It is hard to help you if you don't tell us what you are supposed to deliver. Is it a single application? If so what kind of application is it? What kind of industry is it? Which are the stakeholders? Who is the sponsor for the project(s)?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

The first thing you need to find is the answer to the question "What is the purpose of this Company?", i.e. what's its Raison D'être?" Then you need to understand the company's primary business processes and how they enable the company's continued existence. Once you understand that you can determine (ask the process owners if you can find them) what the key performance indicators are that tell you how well the business processes function. Once you know the questions you need to find where the data is stored that is needed to answer those questions. You will need to find the data sources and which data from which sources need to be combined to answer the questions. Once you've identified the information you'll need to extract it, transform it where necessary and create dashboards that turn the extracted data into information that answer the questions that tell you how well the business processes perform. If you have little experience building dashboards then you should definitely read Information Dashboard Design by Stephen Few..

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

That is a very open question, but you could approach it something like this.

Presuming they have AccessPoint, you should be able to see what dashboard qvw's they have and for each of them you could ask things like things like:

• Who uses it ?
  • Why do they use it ?
  • What data is in it ?
  • What QVD's do they use to load it ?

They must also have data sources which hopefully feed into QVD generator qvw's, then for each QVD generator you could ask things like :

• What are the data sources ?
  • What transformations are done to the data ?
  • Why are these transformations done ?
  • What QVD's are produced ?

Then you should be able to draw a diagram / flow chart of all the :

• Data sources
  • QVD Generator qvw's
  • QVD's
  • Dashboard qvw's
  • People

Don't worry if the diagram is less than perfect, the imperfections should hopefully prod you into what other questions need to be asked.

Not applicable
Author

Hello Skjolden,

thank u fr kwik response,

no, they have multiple applications, they are from hr, sales, employee, products applications.  service industry.

Don't have idea about stake holders and sponsors?

thanks you & regards,

Heema

Not applicable
Author

Hello Gysbert,

thank you it is informative.

they just gave me couple of access and said this is the source drive.  I viewed applications through access point which are not fully developed.  Even they don't have clue what are the KPI's for those applications.

regards,

Heema

Not applicable
Author

Hello Markham,

thank you for quick response,

thank you it is very descriptive,

they just gave me couple of access and said this is the source drive.  I viewed applications through access point which are not fully developed.  Even they don't have clue what are the KPI's for those applications.  they have users all over the world.

thanks & regards,

Heema