Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prees959
Creator II
Creator II

When Are charts Rendered??

Hi,

I have a an app that uses variables to show if a chart should be shown (or not).  My question is are charts rendered "in the background" on sheets that aren't currently activated?  Im trying to speed up our application and show/hide variables are used across different sheets...

Should I use a second variable eg , show_this_chart=1 and current_page='this_page' ?  Or doesn't matter?

Many thanks,

Phil

Labels (3)
3 Replies
atoz1158
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Phil

We use the Calculation Conditions option on the General Tab of chart proprieties dialog rather than the show condition on the Layout tab together with a custom error message informing the user what they need to do for the chart to display which may be as simple as clicking a show chart button right up to a complex set of required selections being made first.

We found that this did improve the time that it took to load the first tab of the document and also improved move from tab to tab within the document.

Regards

Adrian

prees959
Creator II
Creator II
Author

HI, thanks for the reply.

It more a question if charts are rendered 'in the background' on a non active sheet ?

Thanks,

Phil

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Phil, as far as I recall, only the active sheet objects are calculated, and I believe hidden objects are not but minimized I cannot recall whether those are or are not.  I found a Design Blog post on the Calculation Engine that may provide some useful help with things though, and there are some further blog URLs at the bottom of that post for further information.  Sorry my memory is not as good as I would like to tell you for sure, but you can sort of tell yourself by checking upon things, but you will need to be sure things are 'clean' when you do the check and that means everything started fresh so you have nothing cached.  Once an object is calculated, that is all cached, so unless the selection state changes etc., we will use the cache if another user makes the same selection set on that sheet...  Hopefully the below helps:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/The-Calculation-Engine/ba-p/1463265

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.