Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Why variable with formula in script don't have the value , but the formula?

Hello everyone...

i have this little question...probably i wrong something...

-i set in my sheet a variable in this way :

var1=GetFieldSelections(dbName)

-when i select a value in an object, in the sheet this variable is set to the value that i select , but 

when i try to use this variable in the load script i found this with the value of the formula and not with the right value .

EX:

if i select in my object a field with value of "mydb" in the sheet the variable have value = mydb but in the script the value of the var is "GetFieldSelections(dbName)"

Why ? what's wrong?

I have to use macro to convert into another variable the text value of my var1 and use the new var in the script!!!!

thank everyone and sorry for my english.

Wava

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

yes !! But you just don't understand how yet. See attached qvw. Change the selection, reload and check the values of the variables. var3 is set with a trigger, varX is set in the script.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You probably didn't define the variable correctly or need to use the right $-expansion. See here for the different ways variables can be defined and used.

Not applicable
Author

No i think that i define the variable correctly in the sheet:

var1=GetFieldSelections(dbName)

and use the $var1 to read the value in my script , but i found the formula and not the value .

If in my sheet i set the variable this a costant value :

var1='my value'

and use the $var1 to read the value in my script it's work fine!!!

Why with the constant work , but not with the formula?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Ah, I see what you're trying to do, ie using chart functions in the script. GetFieldSelections cannot be used in the script. Selections aren't available in the script. You could store them in a variable first I think, but you can't use chart functions in the script afaik.

Not applicable
Author

I understand , but i don't find a function to save the value of my var in an other var .

If i set  var2=var1 in my sheet , in the script i have the same problem , the value of var2 in the script is "=var1".

EX:

if var1=GetFieldSelections(myfield) and myfield value is "Qlik" and i want in var2 the constant "qlik"

The only way to do this that i found is use macro but it sound a little crazy.

does not exist another way?

Thank

Wava

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Yes, you can use a trigger to set a variable with an action. If you set the value of the variable to =getfieldselections(myfield) then the variable will get as value a comma separated list of values instead of the unevaluated expression. Then you can use that variable in the script. LET varY = '$(varX)';

Not applicable
Author

no !!

KO

using LET varY = '$(varX)'; in the script i have the formula not the value.

thank

wava

Gysbert_Wassenaar

yes !! But you just don't understand how yet. See attached qvw. Change the selection, reload and check the values of the variables. var3 is set with a trigger, varX is set in the script.

Not applicable
Author

You are great!!

The way is however strange , because from variable definition i can't do it and with trigger i can !!!

This way is better than use a macro to do this.

Thank a lot for your answer

Bye

Wava