Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Work around Excel 255 character limit per cell

I have an excel file that is loaded but there is a limit 255 characters in any given cell. We need more text. Can I use a Word document? The link to the Excel file would be AccountNumber. If I can use a Word document, what would the format be so that the load works properly? An example would be great.

Thanks,

Stephen

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Stefen,

You still can use Excel, but instead of "Send To Excel" function, use "copy table" followed by pasting to Excel. I sometimes implement it with a macro button, but it's optional.

Regards,
Michael

Not applicable
Author

Have you tried a CSV? I think that should allow more than 255 characters. I just whipped up a sample using Lorem ipsum text and it imported into QlikView just fine. My sample had more than 300 characters not counting spaces.

If you're just importing account numbers and nothing else, you can enter one per line with or without a header. If you have the data in a Word document with one per line, you could probably save it as plain text and import it into QlikView.

Not applicable
Author

Never mind. I had wrong information about limits in an excel cell. The character limit is 32,767, not 255 as I was told.

Sorry about the my confusion.

Stephen

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Understood. The reason for the confusion that in fact there is 255 characters limit, but only if you use "Send to Excel".

Regards,
Michael

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

Would you mind sharing a copy of your macro?

Thanks,

Alan