Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

XLSX Data not loaded until xlsx modified

Hi all!

I am facing a weird issue. Let's see if someone can bring light to the problem.

I want lo load the following Excel file into QlikView (QV and Excel attached)

excel.png

so I write the following code in my QlikView:

code.png

As you can see, the Excel file has data but when I run the above code it fails:

error.png

If I use the "Table Files..." button of the script inorder to build the load statement using the wizard, I realize that QlikView is seeing nothing from the Excel file. If I now open the Excel file and I save it (with no modification, just save the file) then everything works fine using the original code above provided.

I am using QV 11.20 SR12 in Windows 10 pro.

Some clue?

Thanks!

Jaime.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

It's a known issue - related to the ooxml file-format. AFAIK it's not absolutely clear defined from MS so that there is some room of interpretation - especially if the files aren't created from the Excel desktop client else from the various Excel online clients (expecially in combination with sharepoint) or any third-party tools.

I don't know how Qlik accessed the xlsx - with own build logic and/or logic/libraries from MS - but it seems not to be so error-tolerant as Excel and regocnized therefore no valid data. An opening and saving in Excel "repairs" it then again.

Workarounds for it could be to prompt some changes to the source, to automate the above mentioned opening/saving with any macro-batches, to unzip the xlsx and to load then directly from the various xml-files, trying to load the xlsx per odbc, probably some more ...

- Marcus

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Bump!

Any idea on this?

marcus_sommer

It's a known issue - related to the ooxml file-format. AFAIK it's not absolutely clear defined from MS so that there is some room of interpretation - especially if the files aren't created from the Excel desktop client else from the various Excel online clients (expecially in combination with sharepoint) or any third-party tools.

I don't know how Qlik accessed the xlsx - with own build logic and/or logic/libraries from MS - but it seems not to be so error-tolerant as Excel and regocnized therefore no valid data. An opening and saving in Excel "repairs" it then again.

Workarounds for it could be to prompt some changes to the source, to automate the above mentioned opening/saving with any macro-batches, to unzip the xlsx and to load then directly from the various xml-files, trying to load the xlsx per odbc, probably some more ...

- Marcus

jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thanks Marcus!

We solved it temporaly by creating a batch file that open, save and close all xlsx files before Qlik script execution. I now see that we were correct in our approach 🙂

I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Regards,

Jaime.