Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

calculating expression where dimensions have a many to many relationship

Hello,

I need a hand with an expression where where the dimensions have a many to many relationship and a twist...

The dimensions are Player, Machine, Hold (%) as well as Turnover ($).  I need to calculate how much we keep (Hold %) of the Turnover for each player

-     Each player has Turnover on multiple machines

-     Each machine has an individual Hold %.

So what I am having trouble calculating is the total $ Spend per Player

Player          Machine          Hold           Turnover             Turnover * Hold

A B               1                    .12               100                    12.00

A B               2                    .11               110                    12.10

A B               3                    .13               120                    15.60

TOTAL $ Spend for A B = 39.70 - how do I get this value?

Thanks in advance,

Julian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Or else try this expression

=Sum(Aggr(Avg(Hold) * Sum(Turnover), Player, Machine, Hold, Turnover))

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Julian,

Please find attached file for solution.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Sorry Jagan.  Using an average works fine for my test data so I should have given a more extreme sample.  a small number of the machines have a hold % of .01 with large turnover and many others with hold % of up to .2 with small turnover so doing an average is not accurate.

Attached is a better example of my problem.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Please find attached file for solution.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Jagan,  I was wondering if I needed to put it in the script.  I'm still getting my head around scripting so will have a play.

Not applicable
Author

Hi, Please create the new field in the script by using [Hold %]*$ AS New_Value and use SUM(New_Value).

Please find the attached file for reference.

Not applicable
Author

Jagan,

Will this calculation work even if the two figures Hold and Turnover are from two different sources?

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Julian,

Calculating in Script is the best method when compared to dynamic calculation, also for the same calculation you need to use Aggr(), for this calculation if you do this dynamically, Aggr() has performance issues sometimes.  So calculating in script works for any situation.  Check with your original data, if there are any issues let us know.

Please close this discussion by giving correct and helpful answers to the posts which are helpful to you.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,  I am getting there (I think).  I can replicate the general calculation method in my script on two values within the same table but it does not work between two tables even if concatenated.  Is there something I need to add?

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

If possible join both the tables and implement the above in script like this

Temp:

LOAD

FROM A;

INNER JOIN

LOAD

FROM B;

DATA: