cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

environment in QlikView

Hello,

I'll be happy to hear from your experience:

1. How can you bring the users possibilities to check the new/fixed models before these models are alive?
  2. Your end users check the models after you reload new date before the models goes to production environment?
  3. Are you using with different server for each environment (DEV, Test and Prod)?

Thank you in advance

Elad

5 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

We usually have three steps on the server, which are identical with the directories used:

Developers where typically only the developers have access to, one for each developer,
Testing, where all users already have access, typically no external ones, typically no or very little restrictions on access
Production normal application with full set of restriction, tested for errors and nearly all required forms and graphics developed

HTH
Peter

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

We have the same three environments - development, test and production. And yes, we have a different server for each environment, though I believe we are running all three as virtual servers on the same physical server. I don't know for certain, as I'm not involved on the hardware end of things. That's just my understanding.

We only give our users access to the production environment, and for that matter, only through Access Point. So users can only access their own copy of the document, not even the production server copy of the document.

We typically just install our new/fixed applications directly to the production environment, distribute the document to Access Point, and THEN let the users review the changes. If there's a need for a review before going live, we will typically have a meeting with the user and demonstrate the proposed changes from the development environment. However, we also typically read live production data even in the development environment, so this review is pretty indistinguishable from running on production.

I believe that at one time, very early in our QlikView implementation, we attempted to give users access to the Test environment, and to have them review applications there before going live. This apparently didn't work for us, and was quickly abandoned.

I should note that we do not run any mission-critical business systems in QlikView, and I cannot recommend doing so due to its limitations. QlikView is ONLY a reporting system. That gives us some wiggle room for installs, where if we accidentally break something the users are actively using, it might be a big headache, but it will NOT stop our business from running. That said, I can't remember a case where our lazy install process has caused any real problems.

Still, even our mission-critical business systems are structured similarly. Development, test and production, with users only having access to production. To demonstrate new features before going live, we sit down with the users and demonstrate them in development or test. Our testing and install procedure, however, is much more rigorous for the systems that actually run the business.

(Edit: On the development server, we do not have separate directories for each developer, nor do we have any official procedure for coordinating work done by multiple developers. The typical application only has one assigned developer, so problems are rare. There have been occasional minor headaches - I believe I've lost a couple minor changes when someone has saved over my work during some collaboration, and there was some miscommunication last week actually, where we had two developers working on the same application at the same time. Fortunately, one of the developers took their own copy of it, so it was just a matter of integrating changes rather than of developers stomping on each other's updates. An area in which we could improve, certainly, but nothing that has caused us serious problems that I'm aware of.)

Not applicable
Author

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello John,
Do you have your developers all accessing the same server for development via Remote Desktop Connection ? and if so I presume it is with Terminal Server Licences ?

Or do your developers open documents in server with collaboration enabled to develop ?

I have a 6 development staff who I would like use the Dev server to develop App's on, as our desktops fall over from lack of memory. For the time being I have had two of them using Remote Desktop to remote to the server, but now I want all of them to develop like this, but of course need Terminal Server Licences which, is against our MIS policy.

Our Prod machine has QV Ent. Server the Dev machine doesn't.

I have tried a test on our Prod environment to see if using the |open in server| method I can have access to the normal functions within a document but, but it doesn't give you the options for Document Properties, sheet properties etc. and probably more, I think I have checked all the appropriate boxes, but this is a Labyrinthine product so there could be something somewhere that isn't quite right, especially if it works for you.
Should I just get the Dev machine a QV Ent. Server license ? Although if there are functions disabled in Collaboration Mode then this won't work either.

The MIS policy is not to have multiple developers accessing the Dev server via remote desktop, (any server in fact) they would prefer to have us develop on our desktops with smaller amounts of data, but for me this isn't good enough. I am like you in your dev environment, where it is not only useful to see the whole data you are using but a necessity. For the moment we are stuck with 32bit machines with 3gb of memory.

Should I just get the Dev machine a QV Ent. Server license ? Upgrade the Dev machines

Many thanks for any advice on how to proceed.

Best Regards
Rob

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Almost all our development is done on server documents. However, most development is also done on the developer's desktops, using 32-bit QlikView. When 32-bit is insufficient (we only have a few documents that large), we do use remote desktop connection. But we do NOT remote control the server. Instead, we remote control a single special 64-bit development desktop. So we're remote controlling a desktop that is loading server documents over the LAN. Since we only have a few documents that need 64-bits, one remote desktop and a little verbal communication and prioritization has been sufficient for our needs.

I didn't set up the server environment and don't generally administer it, so I'm unclear on details. I don't know anything about terminal server licenses, for instance.

None of our desktop machines or the 64-bit special desktop we remote has QlikView server on them, to the best of my knowledge.

So far as I know, "open in server" is a "production" access method, which is to say that the development features (other than collaborative development) are disabled. You wouldn't want to develop with collaborative development because you're creating user objects associated with users, not server objects associated with the document, to the best of my knowledge. Plus no reloads.

I agree that developing on desktops with smaller amounts of data is not a practical solution. But I also agree with the MIS policy of not allowing developers to remote control the server (unless all of your developers are also server administrators).

So it seems to me you have two main options. First, give all of your developers 64-bit machines running 64-bit QlikView with 64-bit ODBC drivers and so on. That could get quite expensive, but to me seems the ideal solution ignoring the cost. If cost is a consideration (isn't it always?), and IF your developers are only working part time on large documents, and IF you can implement some procedure that will keep usage conflicts from becoming a problem, then your next best choice may be purchasing one or two special 64-bit development machines and letting the developers remote control them as necessary.

Again, I'm not an expert on this subject, so there may be other answers as well.

Not applicable
Author

Many thanks for your information John,
The 64bit desktop machine you are using for large document development is what I bought the Dev server for, thinking that wouldn't pose any problems. It 's primary function is only Qlikview, nothing else is run from it, stored on it etc.
As you say cost is always a consideration, and the cost of TSL's at about £1k compared to new 64bit computers for each developer or even a separate 64bit one that we could remote to when needed £ ??? (could be anything) but would still need the TSL's, when we have the Dev server there ready to perform this function is very frustrating.

Thanks again though.
Regards
Rob