Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kris_vliegen
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

export to excel slow / not working

Hi All,

I have issues with exporting data from a table in accesspoint to Excel.

We have a dashboard for fuelstations. Where we can see all transactiondata in the shop and at the pump.

If I would like to export the detail-data to excel and I select 1 dag (all stations) I get a fil of 48.5 Mb and 209.513 rows.

If I would like to download the data for 2 days after about 10 min. the dashboard refreshes and I get no data.

If possible we would like to download the data for a month to excel at once.

Who can help me with this?

Regards,

Kris

Labels (2)
4 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey Kris, I believe the underlying issue is the QVS cannot complete the export before the Socket connection with the Ajax client is timing out on the request, so you will need to bump up the timeout setting.  Here is an article link that I believe should do the trick, the difficult part is figuring out how long your timeout needs to be in order to allow things to complete.

SocketTimeOutInSeconds

Just shout back if this does not do the trick for you.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
kris_vliegen
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Sorry for my late respons.

It was all working fine.

Now I have another dashboard with a table with 10 dimensions and 8 expressions.

To create an excel with 534.319 records it takes almost 4 min. to create this excel. Is this a normal time?

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Yeah, that does not sound unreasonable to me to be honest, the only way to really tell is do some selections to make it smaller and export that and see how long it takes, should be faster etc. and I would expect somewhat linear in nature, so if you can calculate the reduction, I would expect it to pretty closely fall into place around that calculated time, but there could be a little lag in the time it takes the web server to push things down to the client as well, we have little control over that piece.  One thing you can do is watch the QVS Temp folder, that is where the files write to, by default it is C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Temp, you should be able to see how long it takes for the file to appear there, the rest of the time will be the QVS getting the file pushed to the web server and the web server pushing to the client, so it may not be as much faster as you expect if there are some network issues getting the file from the web server to the client etc...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
marcus_sommer

I think it's quite fast. Qlik needs to calculate the data (creating a virtual table and performing the calculations), to render the output and to transfer everything (over the network to a storage) within the specific structure of the target-file.

In general simple data-structures like a csv should be faster as complex ones like xml (Excel) - whereby (I don't know it exactly but I assume it) Qlik used more or less current standard-libraries for the export-job and I could imagine that nearly none of them will be multi-threaded in any way. Beside this neither Qlik nor most of the other BI vendors designed respectively optimized their tools to export larger datasets through the UI.

Therefore I think about 4 min. for almost 10 M of values is quite a good performance. You could try if any other file-format speed it up ...

- Marcus