Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xtrimf
Creator
Creator

external expressions

Hi,

My customer wants to maintain an expression list in an excel file.

QV treat these expressions as regular text and it is not possible to evaluate text in a chart.

Variables is also not best solution because there are hundreds of expressions.

Is there a way to use these expression once loaded into QV besides assigning it to variables?

6 Replies
Not applicable

Do you mean that these expressions are fixed at load time or dynamically recalculated each time?

You can use the "evaluate ( <string> )" function, but not in chart expressions. This would be done in the load script.

If you use "LET varString = 'a + b' " , the variable will hold the value of a + b at the time this line is encountered, and variable expansion will give that value.

If you use "SET varString = 'a + b' " instead of LET, the variable will hold the string, and variable expansion will give the text, which is then calculated using the values of a and b when that calculation takes place.

This is probably not what you meant, but I am not sure that I understood.

Not applicable

Hi,

please see the attached example.

Use the DEBUGGER to see what happens if you reload the script.

Good luck!

Rainer

xtrimf
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi,

The reason we are trying to do it in excel is because we need a different expression for each row.

with the current solution I still have to do :

if(rowno()=1,$(Variable1))

&

if(rowno()=2,$(Variable2))

This is what we are trying to avoid because of performance issues.

I thought that by doing it in excel i could just load the same field...

no solution yet...

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

xtrim,

couple thoughts:

1. if you could describe your business problem, perhaps we could find a better solution. Using a different expression in each row sounds ... hm, a little extreme - there has to be a better way.

2. If you really need to do it the way you describe, it's not such a big deal to assign hundreds of expression into variables automatically:

- read from excel

- process the data row by row. Process the following in the loop:

- assign variables holding the name of the "expression variable" and the formula

- assign the formula to the desired variable name, like this:

LET $(v_VarName) = $(v_Formula);

cheers!

xtrimf
Creator
Creator
Author

Well,

I'll try to describe the problem:

* - I have a budget table and a fact table. the tables cannot be linked (except time dimention).

* - the budget has also "Total" Sections.

* - The customer has many reports, each assembled from different budget rows.

* - For each budget row there are several calculation ( Budget, Actual, Diff, % Diff)

* The "Actual" calculation can be very complex sometime, while the budget calcs are quit simple.

* For each budget section there is a different expression for each { Budget, Actual, Diff, % Diff}

I tried the following:

1 - budget row names as dimentions, and calculation ( Budget, Actual, Diff, % Diff) as expressions.

This solution requires each calc to identify the row that it is in and apply the correct calculation for this row.

major performance issue in this one.

2 - budget row name as expressions and ( Budget, Actual, Diff, % Diff) as dimensions.

This solution requires that for each budget row I need to identify the dimension and apply the correct calc.

I hope this is clear.

Not applicable

I have more or less the same problem. Oleg's solution for loading external expressions into QlikView seems to be working fine. However, I am having some with how to reference the expression.

Each different item I load has a different formula. In the load script I assign these formulas to a variable named v_[Name of item], so v_Sales, v_Visits, v_Costs etc.

I want to display these items in a straight table, I know the name of the item so I want to reference the variable with something like this:

$($(='v_' & ItemName)

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. How can I dynamically change the name of the variable that is being referenced?