Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

hide a table column

I did search the forum before opening this, but didn't find an answer.

Requirement is to hide a straight & pivot table for all users except some AD IDs. Also in some tables, need to hide a particular column if not in the allowed AD ID list. How to achieve both? Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Currently, there is not way to conditionally hide a column ( I think there is an enhancement in v9.0, but I'm not totally sure).

You'd need to manage duplicate copies of your charts - one with all columns and another one without some columns. Use "Show Condition" to determine what object to show to the current user. You can link it to your Section Access definitions (see chapter "Security" in the Reference Guide).

good luck!

Oleg

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Currently, there is not way to conditionally hide a column ( I think there is an enhancement in v9.0, but I'm not totally sure).

You'd need to manage duplicate copies of your charts - one with all columns and another one without some columns. Use "Show Condition" to determine what object to show to the current user. You can link it to your Section Access definitions (see chapter "Security" in the Reference Guide).

good luck!

Oleg

Not applicable
Author

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Technically, it is possible by using a macro that changes columnwidth to 0.

Not applicable
Author

I noticed that with QlikView 9.0, the object "linear table" (I hope Italian->English translation of the object is correct) allows you to hide columns conditionally.
I created a "support" table with only one column (named Security) and with values 1,2,3.

If I want to hide conditionally a column in a linear Table, I simply add the following script:
= If (minstring (SECURITY) = 1, true (), false ())

Then, when I select Security = 1, the column is hidden

I think this system can be used for your purpose too

Hi

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It's a "straight table" in the English version of QlikView. The most common definition of "straight" is a synonym for "linear", so "linear table" is a very good translation, and does make sense. In the Webster's English Dictionary, that would be definition 1a. However, I think of a "straight table" as being more like definition 3c, "free from extraneous matter". It is a simple table, with just the data, "free from extraneous matter" like bars and lines and pivoting and so on. Of course, I have no idea if that's why QlikTech named it a straight table in the English version, and of course we CAN add bars and lines and so on to straight tables these days. So I don't know if I'm thinking of it the way QlikTech is thinking of it - maybe they're thinking of it as a linear table, which it also is.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/straight

Heh, sorry. I find language fascinating, even if I'm embarrassingly monolingual.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,i have an issue where I have to make a column appear only at drill down level. I am using V8.5 QV. Any suggestion how to do this.

I thought that i could simply insert a condition in the expression itself but i dont know the syntax for setting the column to appear or to disappear .

Not applicable
Author

There is a way to hide columns in "straight table" but what about "pivot table"??

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Depends on what you mean by hiding a column. Let's say you have a table of products across the top, dates down the side, and sum(Sales) as your expression. It will show all products for all dates (at least where there are sales). If you want to hide a product, you could do sum({<Product-={'Bad Product'}>} Sales), for instance. That Product would then disappear. Another way would be to use a calculated dimension of if(Product<>'Bad Product',Product). Either way would cause column 'Bad Product' to disappear.

Not sure how to cause a pivot table expression to completely disappear based on a condition, though, other than the "old school" approach of making two different charts, one with and one without the column, and conditionally displaying the charts. Well, or macro logic to add and remove the column, or other such ugliness.

Not applicable
Author

I understand what you mean, but this would address only field values and would still display the columns with empty cells. In the meantime i have resorted to using the columns i dont want to appear as dimensions of the table, so that you will have the "Expand" or "collapse" sign next to it. Appreciate the information you given me, it might come in handy.