Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonseril
Creator
Creator

limited selections

Hello all,

Say, I have a list box with 10 items. How should I limit the selections up to 5 only?

Thanks in advance and more power!

Jason ^^

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Hi Jason,

I think you can do this by adding a trigger that fires everytime the user makes a selection for the field. The trigger tests the count of values in the field and if it's >5, then the trigger clears the selection for the field.

For an example I used a field named YEAR. So in Document Properties -- Triggers tab, add a Field Event Trigger for the OnSelect event for the field YEAR.

Use the Action "Select In Field". For "Field" I entered =if(count(YEAR))>5,'YEAR','') for "Search String" I entered just an equals sign.

So if the count(YEAR) is > 5 then the trigger clears the selection on the field YEAR. If <= 5 the trigger does nothing.

regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable

Jason

Interesting thought but I don't think it can be done, as a matter of interest, why would you want to do it as there might be another way to provide a solution.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

It can be done by a macro. It should count the slected values, and if it's >5, produce a message, and maybe apply some default selection.

Not applicable

Hi Jason,

I think you can do this by adding a trigger that fires everytime the user makes a selection for the field. The trigger tests the count of values in the field and if it's >5, then the trigger clears the selection for the field.

For an example I used a field named YEAR. So in Document Properties -- Triggers tab, add a Field Event Trigger for the OnSelect event for the field YEAR.

Use the Action "Select In Field". For "Field" I entered =if(count(YEAR))>5,'YEAR','') for "Search String" I entered just an equals sign.

So if the count(YEAR) is > 5 then the trigger clears the selection on the field YEAR. If <= 5 the trigger does nothing.

regards,

Paul

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Here's an example I had lying around using the macro approach. It forces at least one selection, and doesn't allow more than 5 selections. Easy enough to remove the "at least one selection" part of it.

jasonseril
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you all for the quick and wonderful answers. I really appreciate it. Thanks John for the example, this is what I'm looking for.

jason