cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micahsakata
Contributor III
Contributor III

lock down a QVW

My scenario is that we are a government contractor and may need to send some work to non-US citizens to work on.  Instead of creating a set of test data, would it be possible to scramble live data on key fields and lock down the QVW so that the data will be preserved as scrambled?  This way, I could provide data without worrying about reload wiping out the data.

My initial thought was there had to be a way to disable reload button.  First I tried to just remove all code.  Then I tried a combination of "add load" and "replace only load" commands on my select statement where there was no data in an inline load.  In all cases, the data was wiped out.  Maybe I'm not doing this right or maybe there's a better, more elegant solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
micahsakata
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

i think i found my own answer.  in the document properties, under the security tab, i can disable the reload feature.  this is not foolproof but at least protects my data from a accident perspective.  the consultant would have to purposefully remove the security and then reload.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Micah,

I suggest following scenario:

- copy orginal app into App B and scramble data

- copy App B into App C and replace Load-Script and use only a "Binary Load from App B".

- send app C wherever you want; only scrambled data can be load from App B

HTH

Regards

Roland

micahsakata
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

essentially that's what i'd be doing but i'd like to still try to foolproof the process by locking down what you're calling "AppB".  the consultants would be developing in "AppC".  but as a government compliance issue, i'd need to ensure that the data is locked down.  i wouldn't be providing any QVDs that "AppB" would originally pulling data, but if i can't lock down that "AppB" QVW, they may still open it up, wipe the data, ask for a new source data QVW, and we may make a mistake and provide real data.

i really need a solution where the "AppB" data can be kept intact no matter what.  of course if there's some sort of tampering on the consultants end, we can flag that as an issue and document that in an audit finding but we need to do our due dilligance to mitigate any issues from our end.

micahsakata
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

i think i found my own answer.  in the document properties, under the security tab, i can disable the reload feature.  this is not foolproof but at least protects my data from a accident perspective.  the consultant would have to purposefully remove the security and then reload.