cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
youcantryreachingme
Contributor III
Contributor III

"Failed to open file in write mode for file" on nightly reload

I have a nightly re-load script that has been running for months. Every so often I note in the morning that it has failed. The error is per question title:

"Failed to open file in write mode for file XYZ..."

When I see this, I right-click the node in QMC and hit "Run". The task then completes successfully.

I have read other questions here but they don't seem to help. If it was a user permission issue, it wouldn't work when I initiate it from QMC (would it? And besides - the fault does not occur every night - the re-load succeeds on most nights). For the same reason it would appear unlikely to be a folder issue or even a script issue.

Any pointers on how to debug?

Labels (1)
3 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It sounds like two tasks are trying to access XYZ at the same time, causing the second one to fail. When you try later in QMC, the first task has completed, so no more conflict. Try changing the schedule to resolve the problem.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
youcantryreachingme
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you.

That makes logical sense. We do have an hourly schedule which I see runs right through the night also. Given the nightly load takes over an hour, it would make sense that occasionally the two might conflict.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Another option on this one would be to put a dependency on one of the tasks using the file in question such that the opposite task must be complete before it can run, but the other poster was definitely on the correct track, I just wanted to add this idea as well in case you could not adjust the schedule etc.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.