Did you mean: 
louwriet
Creator
Creator

ranking a dimension and in that dimension ranking another dimension

Hi,

Would appreciate help with the following scenario:

Reps visiting shops

I have a rep calling on 50 shops, each shops sells 80 branded products. When I select a rep in a listbox the following must be displayed ranked according to sum of total products sold in a pivot table.

Top 5 shops ranked on total sales of 80 branded products and the top 5 branded products in these 5 shops with their quantities sold. So I will have 2 dimensions in my pivot – shops and products and the pivottable will display only top 5 shops and next to each shop this shop’s top 5 branded products with their quantities sold. So this is actually ranking a dimension and in that dimension ranking another dimension.

Shop

Product

Total Quant

Shop 1

Paintablets

Cough syrep

Migrane tabs

bandaides

shampoo

Shop2

Vitamin B tabs

Multivite tabs

Mosquito spray

Airfreshner spray

Paintablets

Shop3

Ect….

My expression that I have tried is

= IF ( Aggr ( Rank ( Sum ( Qty )) , ShopName,ProductName, ) <= 5 , Sum ( Qty ) )

But this does not give me the top 5 shops – it list all the shop with 5 products next to each shop and not ranked.

Thank you

Louw

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Louw

I think I got it - see the attached. I created a variable (vRankShop) that contains an expression to concatenate the top n ranked shops (according to vTop) as a quoted, comma separated list (see the text boxes). Then I used your existing expression and enclosed it in an If(Match()) statement to only include the shops in the list.

That seems to be working.

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I hope this is what you want.

Have a look at the attachment.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
louwriet
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Kaushik,

Thank you for your example. I am closer but not there yet. Your expression ranked the products correctly but I need to rank the top 5 shops also.

Let’s say I have 3 reps in n listbox calling on 20 shops each. If none of the reps are selected the pivot will display the top 5 shops ranked of the 60 shops with each shops top 5 products ranked.

If I select a rep in the listbox the pivot table will display again the top 5 shops ranked with the top 5 products ranked of each shop – this top 5 shops is the top 5 of 20 shops – there is a link between rep and shop – each rep is linked to 20 shops.

I have added to your expression and it shows now the top 5 shops with 5 products ranked but the products is not ranked correctly . I did put in the sort in to sort by expression of sum(Quantity) descending of the shop and product dimension.

sum( {$<ShopName = {"=rank(aggr(sum(Quantity), ShopName))<= $(vTop)"},ProductName = {"=rank(aggr(sum(Quantity),ProductName))<= $(vTop)"}>} Quantity)

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Louw

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Louw

Your product ranking does not consider only the top 5 shops - it is across all shops. You need to add a set constraint to limit the product ranking to match the shops in the shop set constraint. The punctuation gets quite complicated, so without an example I can't give you the exact expression.

You can create a variable that holds a concatenation of the top 5 shops. That would simplify the expression.

You could also nest the set selections (I am not sure id it will work, but its worth a try)

sum({$<ShopName = {"=rank(aggr(sum(Quantity), ShopName))<= $(vTop)"}

aggr(sum({<ProductName = {"=rank(aggr(sum(Quantity),ProductName, ShopName))<= $(vTop)"}> Quantity), ProductName, ShopName))

(check brackets)

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
louwriet
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply. i updated the demo model that Kaushik posted to demostrate my situation that im stuck with. I have tried your suggestion above. Im missing something somewhere maybe the brackets ? For the demo if noting is selected no rep - then it must display the top two shops ranked of all shops and that two shops top two products only ranked. If a rep is selected it must display the top two shops that he calls on and the top two products of that shops.

I hope my explanation is clear enough to understand.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Louwrie

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Louw

I think I got it - see the attached. I created a variable (vRankShop) that contains an expression to concatenate the top n ranked shops (according to vTop) as a quoted, comma separated list (see the text boxes). Then I used your existing expression and enclosed it in an If(Match()) statement to only include the shops in the list.

That seems to be working.

Regards

Jonathan

louwriet
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Jonathan,

Brilliant, it works 100% for me.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards

Louw