Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III

reference line

Hello there,

Looking to add a reference line to a horizontal bar chart. Normally this is pretty easy using the presentation tab, reference line, but my dimension causes some issues.

My dimension is a field where the values are a range, '0-19', '20-39', etc. I want to assign a reference line at a particular point, say 40.

bars.png

15 Replies
MarcoWedel

So you don't have a continuous dimension axis?

balabhaskarqlik

May be like:

Change the Axes as Continuous, Now add the reference value in Expression area as 40 and check.

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I suppose I don't since that option is grayed out. The field I am using for the dimension is a string, i.e. 0-29 is a value for the field.

romansavchuk
Partner - Contributor III

I have one solution.

This may be not best practice to use combo chart line as reference line, but it may be suitable for this case.
Example application in attachment.

MarcoWedel

Where is the point 40 on this discrete axis?

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I am not sure I follow you Marco. The axis is a single field where the values are ranges of 30. What I want to do is draw a line at a fixed point, say 40, that could be drawn over the bars.

romansavchuk

Dear Chase Bushe‌‌,

Can you post example of chart (picture in paint or application example) for better understanding, what you wanna to see, because I imagine it as in the picture "Chart example.png" in attachments, but I am not sure, you can do it with QlikView (I may mistake, but i haven`t see such configuration of reference line).

May be colorizing of bar with certain number can solve your problem. (using background color in expression as in attached example).

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Sorry for the delay, work deadlines.

Your Chart Example.png file is exactly what I am hoping to achieve, but given my dimensions are not continuous I am not sure how to accomplish this. I looked at your .qvw but that doesnt show the line, only the background coloring.

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I cant use this approach because the line is vertical. I need the line to be on the same axis as the bars.