Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonseril
Creator
Creator

shown and hidden tables calculation time

Hello all,

For example, I have dimensions and two objects (ie tables) each with expressions in it, one is shown and the other object is hidden. So, when I do selections, the shown object's expressions will calculate over the record, my question is when will be the hidden object does its calculation, is it when i click a button to show that object or is it internally the cpu cycles process it?

Thanks in advance and more power to all.

cheers,

Jason

4 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

Think that QV only calculates visible and not minimized objects (can be table, graphs, sheets etc). Therefore it can be wise not to show too many objects simultaneously (like dashboards), unless there was already a preselection of the data.

Peter

Not applicable

Is it possible to get verification of this behavior?

We have reports where delays are non-deterministic (because of caching), so it's sometimes hard to prove that calculations are NOT being done.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I believe you can turn off your caching. Let's see, looks like settings -> user preferences -> general -> working set limits -> cache. I believe if you set it to 0, QlikView doesn't cache. That's how I have mine set specifically because I want to see how long charts take to calculate, and make sure the cache doesn't make me think my charts are fast, only to install and make my poor users wait forever for charts. On the down side, a slow chart will calculate, you'll click on something not really related and it'll recalculate, you'll drag it a few pixels over and it'll recalculate, you'll look at it sideways and it'll recalculate, and so on. It can be a little annoying. But hey, all the more reason to fix the performance of slow charts.

Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion about turning off caching.