cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyC
Contributor III
Contributor III

QVCONNECT64.exe doesn't run because it isn't 'signed'

I have QV desktop deployed to a PC with restricted security (i.e. no Admin rights) and APPLOCKER has been deployed to prevent execution of unauthorised programs.  

So far so secure.

However, here's the 'kicker'...

Since, our policy prevents execution of unauthorised programs from %temp% (a common vector for virus attacks) when QV.exe runs a script and extracts the ODBC EXE connector into %temp% 

I get:

Failed to start connector: QvConnect64.EXE
System error: This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator.

Any workarounds/solutions would be gratefully received.

HEY QLIK ! - why do you run the ODBC connector this way? 

You already have copies of QVCONNECTnn.EXE in the QV Program folders AND they are digitally signed so I can run them from anywhere.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndyC
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Brett

Thanks for the reply.

I am running 12.40.20100 (April 2019 SR1) and this has the same issue.

We have found a workaround as it appears there is now a parameter in settings.ini 

QVConnectFolderTmpPath

this allows me to point QV.exe to a different folder to extract the QVCONNECT exe's to.

We've created a GPO to allow execution from this folder.

Still not as elegant as using signed exe's though ☹️

Andy

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

If you are running QlikView 12.20 SR6 or earlier, R&D did look into this and provided fixes in 12.20 SR7 and later, so changing out to one of those versions should get things working for you.  Let me know if you are on a release that should be working, otherwise please try one of the releases that should contain the fix and let me know if that does address the issue.

The Software Defect ID on this is QV-14723.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
AndyC
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Brett

Thanks for the reply.

I am running 12.40.20100 (April 2019 SR1) and this has the same issue.

We have found a workaround as it appears there is now a parameter in settings.ini 

QVConnectFolderTmpPath

this allows me to point QV.exe to a different folder to extract the QVCONNECT exe's to.

We've created a GPO to allow execution from this folder.

Still not as elegant as using signed exe's though ☹️

Andy

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Thanks Andy, I was able to find that once you pointed it out, that one got by me, but I did find an Article as well on that, so I am posting that too for other folks that come to this post:

QvConnectFolderTmpPath article 

I did mark your post as the solution as well...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.