Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

SAP Extractor Connector - DSO delta enablement?

Hi all

Can somebody confirm to me that the SAP Extractor Connector has the capability to extract data from SAP BW DSOs and automatically receiving the delta calculated by the DSO (after one-off initialization of course..).

Thanks in advance!
causeneffect

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tomas_Sommergyll
Employee
Employee

Yes, the Qv SAP Extractor Connector can get data from SAP BW DSOs and use Delta loads.

Below is an excerpt from the text in the QV Connector Manual:

9.2.5 Delta Loads

One of the major advantages of the extractor connector is the ability to use delta load capabilities (if allowable in the extractor itself).

To execute a delta load, proceed as follows:

1. Uncomment the required UPMODE statement in the script:

UPMODE C – initial extraction followed by delta load

This creates a QVD file with all of the data through the extractor and also tells SAP that a delta load process is required in the future.

2. Modify the extractor script:

UPMODE D – delta extraction

3. Concatenate the QVD to the output.

(Note: When using the delta loads use the same template and the same logical system used for the initialization.)

4. To do a new initial extraction (UPMODE C) on an existing initial extraction load, delete the data source in this transaction (/N/QTQVC/DELETE_INIT) before the new load starts. Fill in the logical system and then the data source/extractor to delete.

(See the Manual for more details, if necessary)

/Tomas

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Tomas_Sommergyll
Employee
Employee

Yes, the Qv SAP Extractor Connector can get data from SAP BW DSOs and use Delta loads.

Below is an excerpt from the text in the QV Connector Manual:

9.2.5 Delta Loads

One of the major advantages of the extractor connector is the ability to use delta load capabilities (if allowable in the extractor itself).

To execute a delta load, proceed as follows:

1. Uncomment the required UPMODE statement in the script:

UPMODE C – initial extraction followed by delta load

This creates a QVD file with all of the data through the extractor and also tells SAP that a delta load process is required in the future.

2. Modify the extractor script:

UPMODE D – delta extraction

3. Concatenate the QVD to the output.

(Note: When using the delta loads use the same template and the same logical system used for the initialization.)

4. To do a new initial extraction (UPMODE C) on an existing initial extraction load, delete the data source in this transaction (/N/QTQVC/DELETE_INIT) before the new load starts. Fill in the logical system and then the data source/extractor to delete.

(See the Manual for more details, if necessary)

/Tomas

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tomas

Thanks for your quick reply!

My interpretation was that the section "Delta Load" from the QV SAP Connector Manual only refers to the extraction from SAP data source (extractors) directly, that are delta enabled.

I still believe it is only referring to the extractor, see below quote from your extract:

"One of the major advantages of the extractor connector is the ability to use delta load capabilities (if allowable in the extractor itself)"

I am specifically looking into connecting to SAP BW DSOs by using the extractor connector and use the DSOs delta handling. Is that possible as well and if yes, how? I have not found anything in the SAP connector manual.

Thanks

Steffen

mats_olin
Employee
Employee

The DSO Data source is delta enabled, so initiate the delta and then load delta as Tomas and the manual descibed / Mats  

Not applicable
Author

Hi Steffen,  Yes the extractor connector is connecting to the BI datasource and not the DSO.  To get the delta from the DSO you need to extract the DSO active table.  This is the resulting data after the delta has been applied.

Not applicable
Author

Hi wp_analytics

That way I would always do a full load from the DSO to QlikView.

What I am looking for is an efficient way to only transfer the delta from the DSO (which is calculated by the DSO anyway due to its three-table concept) to QlikView.

We can't use the extractor connector because we want to leverage business logic in SAP BW which is already implemented on the data flow up to the DSO (integration of multiple data sources and DSOs for complex calculations).

Currently the only way we see is to write a timestamp to the updated DSO data and transfer the delta from BW to QlikView based on the timestamp. But I am sure there is a more automated and efficient way already built-in to the SAP connector. Or am I wrong?

mats_olin
Employee
Employee

So, just to get the scenario straight here: let's say you make a new DSO (let's call it DSO2) that is a copy of the DSO (let's call it DSO1) that you want to extract from, a straight transformation betweeen DSO1 and DSO2, and at DTP. First time you execute the DTP there will be a full load to DSO2, next time there will be a delta to DSO2 if you have any new requests in DSO1.

The extraction to QV via the data source will work in the same way as the delta process to DSO2 so is this the behaviour that you are looking for? Then the QV extractor connector will work.

Not applicable
Author

HI Steffen, Ok if you don't want to load from the active table then you need to load from the change log. This article (LET'S BE BETTER IN SAP BI: How Does DSO Maintains Delta Records in Change Log Table) give details of the table with the delta info that you will also need to load. You'll also need to aggregate the key figures in the QV load script. Hope this helps.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mats

Exactly, you could treat QlikView as the "DSO2" in your scenario and I am looking for a built-in feature of the QlikView SAP Connector (potentially Extractor Connector) which is calculating he Delta automatically via the DSO delta calculation without the need to calculate the delta specifically in the load script.

Thanks and best regards

S.