Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

SAP BW Analysis Authorizations in Qlikview

Hey guys,

i am pretty new to Qlikview, coming from BW/BO world with several BW customers.

I am struggling around with the topic of bringing BW analysis authorizations into qlikview.

I now know that QLikview have a corresponding feature to give authorizations on data level for different users.

But now that we have invested in implementing our BW analysis authorizations in the past, we want to leverage that and build one point, where the data security is defined (this should be the bw system).

I know here is min. 1 person, Yaniv Feldman, which has implemented such a thing like extracting those auths from BW.

I need more details to give a information basis for a strategic decision pro or con qlik as new BW frontend.

Could you, yaniv, or anybody which has already made such an integration give me more infos on how this could work?

Thx a lot in advance!

BR,

Tobias

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Tobias

We use BW traditional tools (BEx) for detailed analysis and QlikView for Dashboarding.

We chose to maintain ALL analysis authorizations for QlikView using BW as a source. This means that we required all QV users to have BW licenses and modeled the BW authorization concept within QlikView.

The reasons that we chose that were:

1. Unlike BW, QlikView can be very problematic in terms of data governance. Since we can easily manage, maintain and monitor analysis authorizations in BW - we figured that the best solution for QV is to create an exact replica of these analysis authorizations in QV (this means that you need to understand all the BW authorization table schema and extract it). All the management/maintenance work on authorizations in done in BW (RSECADMIN, PFCG etc...).

2. Creating a new model for analysis authorizations in QlikView (for example - based on Excel files) would have required us to waste valuable time on maintenance. A model of BW analysis authorizations in QlikView only needs to be refreshed/reloaded on a daily basis and it will reflect current authorizations easily.

3. Unlike BW, QlikView authorizations only allows "Flat" analysis authorizations without the possibility of Hierarchy authorizations (allow different users to see different hierarchy levels etc...). A dynamic model of BW hierarchy authorizations in QV solves this issue (we implemented it successfully)

If you have any other questions - don't hesitate to ask

Thanks

Yaniv

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Tobias

We use BW traditional tools (BEx) for detailed analysis and QlikView for Dashboarding.

We chose to maintain ALL analysis authorizations for QlikView using BW as a source. This means that we required all QV users to have BW licenses and modeled the BW authorization concept within QlikView.

The reasons that we chose that were:

1. Unlike BW, QlikView can be very problematic in terms of data governance. Since we can easily manage, maintain and monitor analysis authorizations in BW - we figured that the best solution for QV is to create an exact replica of these analysis authorizations in QV (this means that you need to understand all the BW authorization table schema and extract it). All the management/maintenance work on authorizations in done in BW (RSECADMIN, PFCG etc...).

2. Creating a new model for analysis authorizations in QlikView (for example - based on Excel files) would have required us to waste valuable time on maintenance. A model of BW analysis authorizations in QlikView only needs to be refreshed/reloaded on a daily basis and it will reflect current authorizations easily.

3. Unlike BW, QlikView authorizations only allows "Flat" analysis authorizations without the possibility of Hierarchy authorizations (allow different users to see different hierarchy levels etc...). A dynamic model of BW hierarchy authorizations in QV solves this issue (we implemented it successfully)

If you have any other questions - don't hesitate to ask

Thanks

Yaniv

Not applicable
Author

Hi yaniv,

Thanks for your reply and the information.

I am new to sap bw and somewhat old to qlik.

Is there any document on detail Steps on this?

can you please help as I need to do a poc.

I could gather list of tables from sap bw which has user authorizations.

here what i could gather and understood.

1.  we need to reload all the users data (authorizations data) into qvds first

2. and for every document, extract only those users data(authorizations data) who will need to access document.

3.define section access for these required users in qlikview

how to model authorizations data in qlik so that i can define section access for users?

kindly help.

regards

Santosh

p.s. Are you based in pune? as per records your location is shown as pune india. I am from pune india and work for pune based software company.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Santosh

You generally got this right.

I didn't write any 'how-to' paper for extracting hierarchy authorizations and most chances there's no solid best-practice by Qlik.

However, I will be able to assist if you specify the exact scenario:

Which authorization concept you have in BW? (new/old)

what are the infoObjects that you want to use for the authorizations?

thanks

Yaniv

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

We have 7.3 SAP BW.

I am creating POC where I need to show or demonstrate that there is seamless security between SAP BW and Qlikview.

I wish to import ‘relevant Metadata’ from sap bw in Qlikview. And using section access I can show that I don’t need to recreate authorizations in qlikview.

e.g. My plan (after reading information on the internet) is take any info object – like info cube….get all the metadata of access privileges from sap bw , extract in qlikview and add layer of section access over it to demonstrate above said case for POC

Kindly provide your help and detail guidance as I am only Qlik developer in my team and know very little about sap bw.

Regards

Santosh

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Santosh

First, I suggest that you work with the BW team in the organization - they will be able to provide much help

Regarding the relevant meta data, here's a really quick-rough guide -

you need to extract BW tables:

AGR_USERS - this table shows the assignment of roles to users

AGR_1251 - this table shows the authorization data within the role

After the extraction, you will need to 'Left join' the tables in the mentioned order using field AGR_NAME

This will give you a list of all BW users and their roles in BW

After that, you will need to take the relevant data (role names, authorization fields) and use them in your section access .

Thanks

Yaniv