Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calculate Employee Attrition Rate for Rolling 12-Month (1 Year) Period

Hello - I am new to Qlickview, and trying to build a variable to calculate employee attrition but running into issues.  Any insights appreciated.  Thanks.

Objective

• Calculate Attrition Rate for 12 Month (1 Year) Period – Current Period (eg, through the Month ending Jan 2017) and Year Ago Period (eg, through the month ending Jan 2016) 
  • Period rolls forward with each successive month
  • Display the 12 month rate for the period (not the 12 month rate for each month).  In other words, the rate from the last month in the period back 12 months. 
  • To be used as a variable, with other dimensions (job type, etc).

Calculations -

Turnover Formula:  Turnover Rate = Total terminations / Average Headcount

In Quikview:

• Total Terminations for the 12 Month Period -- RangeSum(Above(total sum([Termination Count]),0,12))
  • Average Headcount for the 12 Month Period -- RangeAvg(Above(total sum([Ending Headcount]),0,12))
  • Term Rate - RangeSum(Above(total sum([Termination Count]),0,12))  /  RangeAvg(Above(total sum([Ending Headcount]),0,12))

Problem

• When I display both Record Year and Record Month, everything works.  Total Terminations, Average Headcount, and Term Rate yield correct results (verified against Excel spreadsheet).
  • When I click on the table to take Record Month out of the display, leaving just Record Year, which is what I am after, Total Terminations calculate correctly, but Average Headcount sums all the records in the data set rather than averaging the monthly sums.  Which of course throws off the Term Rate.

Data Structured

Record Month

Record

Year

Record

Type

Dimension 1

Dimension 2

Ending Headcount

Termination Count

Jan

Snap

Group1

Orgx

Jan

Snap

Jan

Snap

Jan

Activity

Dec

Snap

Dec

Snap

Dec

Snap

Dec

Activity

Dec

Activity

….

Feb

Snap

Feb

Snap

Feb

Snap

Feb

Activity

Feb

Activity

Feb

Activity

1 Reply
santho_ak
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Its almost a year old post. But wanna give a try to see whether it works or no. So that it might be useful for someone else.

count(if(RecordYear(Today()-365)=RecordYear,TerminationCount))