Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcs_2015
Contributor III
Contributor III

Comparing Cohort datasets across a standard manufactured time dimension

I've created a cohort report that tracks performance of each cohort population across calendar months (DIM).  My Selected Cohort time frame is based on a dynamic range selected by the user (2 manufactured DIM pick lists), limited to a Month-Year combination.  In this example, Jan-2015-Mar-2015.  Using variables, I then calculate the previous and future cohorts populations based on start/end of the selected cohort and number of months in that selected range.  In this example, Cohort-1 is manufactured to be Oct-2014 thru Dec-2014 and Cohort+1 is Apr-2015 thru Jun-2015.

As seen below, Cohort-1 has 26 time based metrics, Cohort has 23, and Cohort+1 has 20.

I'd like to time shift the graphic to a generic time definition of Month1, Month2, Month3 etc for each cohort.  If I can make this happen, the user can then see their performance by cohort population against all 3 cohorts without the need to visually time-shift each line to the left. 

The desired view is the snapshot below but left justified across a generic Month1, Month2, Month3... axis and a value for all 3 cohorts in the first manufactured dim of Month1 thru Month20, then it would be 2 populations for another 3 months, and lastly a single population for the remaining 3 months (Month26).

Thoughts on how I might make this happen would be greatly appreciated

2017-01-03_14-12-51.png

My Set Expression for Cohort:

// Count of completed metrics

Count(

{<

Eligibility = {'E'},

[Met Status] = {'M'},

[Report Date] = {"$(='>=' & Date($(vCS),'YYYY-MM'))"},

[Assessment Date] = {">=$(=$(vCS)) <=$(=$(vCE))"}

>}

MET_CNT)

/

// Count of total possible metrics to be completed

Count(

{<

Eligibility = {'E'},

[Report Date] = {"$(='>=' & Date($(vCS),'YYYY-MM'))"},

[Assessment Date] = {">=$(=$(vCS)) <=$(=$(vCE))"}

>}

CNT)

//$(vCS) Cohort Start variable based on picklist value chosen by user

//$(vCE) Cohort End variable based on picklist value chosen by user

//[Report Date] is current DIM used to render x-axis

//[Assessment Date] is used to ID the cohort population in conjunction with the selected cohort range

Attaching limited data App

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Something like this?

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

8 Replies
sunny_talwar

So you won't be using Month as your dimension in the case where you want to shift to generic time, right? I am thinking of using ValueLoop() function to create a dimension and some create a measure based on that. I am not 100% sure how this can work, but if you can provide a sample, we can play around with it to see if we can make it work.

Best,

Sunny

jcs_2015
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Yes Sunny, I will not/can not use native Month/Year values as a visual time dimension given the lag in each cohort population.

There will never be more than 27 distinct Month/Year periods in the data model.  But the span of the cohort range could be anything from a single month to 27 months in theory.  Likely cohort populations will be quarterly however.

sunny_talwar

Something like this?

Capture.PNG

jcs_2015
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That looks exactly like what I was hoping to deliver!!!

What a simple solution as well, a calculated DIM using Rank.  You ROCK!!!

sunny_talwar

Not sure if you saw the expression or not, but expressions are sort of messy

jcs_2015
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

As a result of what they are doing or just my syntax?

sunny_talwar

Well, I changed them for the second and third expression.... So because of what you needed, I had to make them quite messy. Original expressions were okay

jcs_2015
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Sorry, Only looked at the 1st expression.  I'll dive in deeper as I migrate this to my live App. 

Given what it is trying to do, define the laws of time, I'd suspect "messy" should be expected anyway

Regardless, Fantastic solution to a problem many who are challenged with Cohort Reporting, intertwined with Analytics, will likely be benefited.