Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Create Column based on sum of totals in resident table

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to Qlikview, so this might be a simple question for most of you, but I searched and couldn't find what I needed so:

I have a T1 app that need to store 2 tables.  The first is a basic load from an excel file.  However the second table needs to be created entirely from calculations based on the first table, and I don't know how to do this.  An example of the first table would be:

DateStateStepSum
1/1/2011ALStart50
1/1/2011ALComplete40
1/1/2011ALPurchase30
1/1/2011CAStart50
1/1/2011CAComplete40
1/1/2011CAPurchase30
1/2/2011ALStart50
1/2/2011ALComplete50
1/2/2011ALPurchase50

In actuallity, there are far more days, all 50 states, and many more "steps".  What I need to do is create a table with 4 new columns, based on either the sum of the "Sum" column unique to each state-step combination, or create a column in that new table based on the column I just described.

Can anyone help get me started here?  I've been experimenting with FOR EACH, figuring I'd load and concantenate to the new table within each iteration, but I can't figure out the syntax.  Is this even the right way to go about this?

Thank you!

5 Replies
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

You probably want to use resident loads.  You might also want to create a Composite key of State and Step so as to avoid a Synthetic key.

e.g:

DataTable:

Load

Date,

State,

Step,

State & '-' & Step as StateStepKey,

// or you could use AutoNumberHash256(State, Step) As StateStepKey, which creates a numeric key    

Sum

From myexcelfile...;

SummaryTable:

Load

StateStepKey,

Sum_of_Sum,

Sum_of_Sum / Count_of_Key as Avg_Sum_Value;

Load

StateStepKey,

Sum(Sum) As Sum_of_Sum,

Count(StateStepKey) As Count_of_Key

Resident

DataTable

Group by StateStepKey;

This uses a preceding load to do a calculation with the newly derived Sum_of_Sum - I don't know exactly what you want to do with that but I am showing an example.

Regards,

Stephen

Not applicable
Author

I think you might have the wrong idea?  Imagine this as creating a pivot table from the original table.  It would need to have a total column, a state column, and a step column, and the total column would have a value that sums the values for each day, the associated data points from the State-Step composite you mentioned. 

Like I said, I'm a newbie to Qlikview, so maybe this is pretty basic. I'm qualifying both tables where necesarry, so syn tables/key aren't an issue, and it would be necesarry to maintain the states and steps in individual columns.  I'm going to mess around with the Group by, but I still think this would have to be in a For Each construct, but I don't know how to reference a table in the IN portion of this syntax.

I could create an array of states but... this proprietary language is is limited and confusing.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Brian,

From what I see in your description, there is no need to do anything in the script.  Simply create a chart (pivot table) with dimensions State and Step, and expression sum(Sum).  Drag the Step dimension to the top.
That's probably it, if I got your requirements right.

Regards,
Michael

Not applicable
Author

This has to be a second table in the data model, due to the next step calculations that need to be run on this secondary dataset

Sent from my Verizon Wireless smartphone

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

In this case:

Table2:
LOAD
sum(Sum) as TotalSum,
State,
Step
RESIDENT
GROUP BY State, Step;

To keep both source table and Table2 and avoid synthetic keys - use Stephen's solution, which is essentialy the same.