Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Eliminate Null Dimensions

I created a bar graph that is a sum by month of the current month plus the previous 12 months.  Now I want to remove the months that have no values. I already tried going into PROPERTIES => DIMENSIONS => And Checking the box that says Suppress When Value Is Null.  This did not work.  Any idea how to remove the blank months?

Formula:

=NUM(SUM({$<[Month End Date]={">=$(=MonthStart(AddMonths(Max([Month End Date]),-12))) <$(=MonthEnd(Max([Month End Date]),+1))"}, [Fact Setup ID]={"576817","576818","576819","576820","576821","401258"}>} [Metric Value]), '###,##0')

Thanks,

Seth

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

Maybe check 'Suppress Zero Value' on the presentation tab

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You're using two dimensions. In that case space will be reserved for each month even if there is a value for a month in only one of the two years. If you don't want that then you must use a single dimension. Something like =Year & '-' & Month

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

I also have the Suppress Zero Value checked in the presentation tab.

I want the year and month as 2 separate dimensions so it shows the summed values in chronological order.  If I remove the year dimension then the chart orders the months as Jan - Dec and rolls up the 1 overlapping month into a single summed value.  Is there no way around this?  This is something basic that can be done in an excel graph. 

Not applicable
Author

I see what you are saying creating a "Year"&-&"Month" field.  I just don't think that looks as nice.  Is that the only way?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Yes.

Not applicable
Author

So if I use the 1 dimension how do I sort it so the months are in chronological order?  It's like when I combined the month and year it can only see the month as text and wants to put it in alpha order.  I would prefer not to use the month number unless that is my only option.  I have tried a few different sort unsuccessfully.  Thanks.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You seem to have a [Month End Date] field. You can use that as dimension and format it a bit: Date([Month End Date], 'YYYY-MMM'). If you sort that dimension numerically you'll get the sort order you want.