Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Export by Dimension

When dealing with large data structures, it seems like an 'Export' option is really only viable if the dataset is within the limitations of the format it is exporting to.. for example, newer version of Excel only support up to 1.1 million rows, and previous versions were only compatible up to 65k or so (memory ceilings I assume).

That said, it seems like a great solution would be the ability to auto-export a table to a format automatically in the script itself.

If I have a pre-built QVD that I want to divide into 3 separate exports (let's just say for argument's sake that it's by 'DIM1' dimension - or a specific site/location), what would be the method to have QlikView script do such a thing?  How do you script a loop to only export the values in the 'current' dimension it is on until it has divded up the table into each respective individual dimension tables?

13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Ralf - What about a more dynamic approach?  Let's say we've only got 3 sites/stores right now, but that we want the script to check for possible values first before assuming it's just '1 through 3'?

You are both widening my knowledge by leaps and bounds...

Not applicable
Author

Erich - Your answer was actually right on the money.. I just ignored the syntax error and let it roll, and it created each file just as it was expected to!

That was fantastic, thank you!

rbecher
MVP
MVP

I just made it simple as possible so that's more understandable. It's always easy to complicate things..

Btw. the NoConcatenate is not needed in this case because the table gets dropped. If needed the right syntax is:

tempTable:

NoConcatenate load * resident Table

where site_id = $(vTable);

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Gotcha - I see your point now also about it being dropped

I'm still fresh eyes when it comes to QV, but this community is so fantastic and helpful!

Thanks again fellas!