cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Expression as share of total

Hello Community,

what I am trying to accomplish is to display the relative share of some value of a total. Here is a quick example:

• Suppose I have companies as my dimension.
  • Then I have individual products (Product A, B and C) sold by all the companies.
  • In a bar chart (or basically any chart), I want to display the share of one product relative to total sales (i.e. of all products) of each company as the expression.
  • Lets say one example company has sold 100 units of each product. Then I want the bar representing this company to display 0.33 when I select a specific product.

This seems trivial, but the problem is that total sales are not included in the selection anymore when I choose a specific product.

For example, when I have product A selected, then SUM(Sales)/SUM(TOTAL Sales) will display the share of sales of product A for each company relative to total sales of product A (across all companies combined), rather than share of total sales of each company.

SUM(Sales)/SUM(TOTAL <Company> Sales) will show the share of selected products relative to each other, e.g. when I select products A and B, and each one was sold 100 times, the formula will show 0.5 for each, instead of 0.66.

How can I achieve that the formula refers to the total sales of all products by each company?

Thanks a lot!

7 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try a combination with set analysis:

SUM(Sales)/SUM({<Product= >} TOTAL<Company> Sales)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Stefan,

could you please elaborate a bit further on your suggestion? What exactly is the bold expression doing compared to the rest?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately, it also does not work. It says no data to display...  Adding a specific product after the = sign in your bold expression ( {<Product = 'A'>} ) also does not work.

Kind regards,

Martin Müller

avinashelite

{<Product= >}

will not consider any selection made on the Product filter i.e. it will ignore the Product selection while calculating the sum of sales

swuehl
MVP
MVP

It's always helpful to look at a specific sample to get the syntax right and also to state the context and expected result.

A test data set for example could look like:

LOAD * INLINE [

Product,Company, Units

ProdA, CompA, 100

ProdB, CompA, 100

ProdC, CompA, 100

ProdA, CompB, 100

ProdB, CompB, 200

ProdC, CompB, 300

];

Then a table chart with no selections could look like

Company Product Sum(Units) Sum(TOTAL<Company> Units) Sum( Units) / Sum({<Product= >}TOTAL<Company> Units)
900 900 100%
CompAProdA10030033%
CompAProdB10030033%
CompAProdC10030033%
CompBProdA10060017%
CompBProdB20060033%
CompBProdC30060050%

And with ProdA selected in field Product:

Company Product Sum(Units) Sum(TOTAL<Company> Units) Sum( Units) / Sum({<Product= >}TOTAL<Company> Units)
200 200 22%
CompAProdA10010033%
CompAProdB01000%
CompAProdC01000%
CompBProdA10010017%
CompBProdB01000%
CompBProdC01000%

Or using only Company as dimension:

Company Sum(Units) Sum(TOTAL<Company> Units) Sum( Units) / Sum({<Product= >}TOTAL<Company> Units)
200 200 22%
CompA10010033%
CompB10010017%
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your help. In the end I used a slightly different expression, but your hint towards set analysis led me to this presentation, which helped a lot to understand the syntax and methodology behind it.

Best,

Martin