Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

How to quickly access the results of calculations and/or diagrams?

Hi,

how can I build a "super-sheet" on top of all the sheets in a document that has a gauge-diagram or something similar for every sheet in the document?

I have to access the results of rather complex calculations to decide whether the outcome is "good" or "bad". Can I somehow do that without copying the entire formula?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

5 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

this would be relevant for the Management-Dashboard I'm currently building. Does anyone know if this can be done? Simply grabbing a result without redoing the entire formula?

This might also help when I try to build a "management_superstructure", displaying results calculated in other documents - I'm thinking of storing the results into new qvd files and just loading those into my management-dashboard.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Put the formula's in variables. Reuse the variables in the different charts where you need to use the same formula.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Gysbert,

thanks for helping!

I have actually thought of that. The problem, as with everything, is that it needs some time - but it would probably be worthwhile.

The variables, however, would just recalculate the formula every time they are accessed, no?

Well, I guess there is no other way.

Can I make those variables global (document-independent) so i can access them from an "overarching" management-dashboard?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Gysbert_Wassenaar

The expressions will be recalculated any time the selections change or variables used in the expression change.

You can put create an include file and put the statements that create the variables with the formulas in that script. In your documents you can then use an include statement like $(Include=abc.txt); to include the content of the script file in the document script.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I will try that out asap.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: That means, in reverse reasoning, that I have to have the same data_model behind that management_dashboard as behind the individual documents so that those fields will be known and the formulas work, correct?