Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucasdavis500
Creator III
Creator III

Ignoring Set Analysis when user makes selections

Hi, I was just wondering if it's possible for a user to make a selection that disregards set analysis. For example, I currently have two charts side-by-side for comparative purposes. I have used alternate states so that selections made with certain list boxes will affect only one chart. These charts are both defaulted with their monthly view being a 12 month rolling (using set analysis) and 12 week rolling (using set analysis) depending upon a button click by the user. However, when I make a selection that falls outside of set analysis, for example I choose April, 2016, when used in the rolling 12 weeks, I get "No data to display". How can I use set analysis to limit what the user sees (so that they are not overwhelmed with data and have to scroll) but ignore set analysis when user makes selection.

for example:

=count({<[Dummy1] = {'0'}, dummy2 = {'1'}, Dummy3 = {'1'}, DateType = {'Created'}, CanonicalDate = {$(vTwelveRolling)}>} Pkey)

+

count({< Dummy4 = {'1'}, DateType = {'Created'}, CanonicalDate = {$(vTwelveRolling)}>} [Control Number])

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lucasdavis500
Creator III
Creator III
Author

They were all showing incorrectly. However, I found a work-around.

Instead of having this in one expression, I made two expressions. For example:

(count({<[Dummy1] = {'0'}, dummy2 = {'1'}, Dummy3 = {'1'}, DateType = {'Created'}>} Pkey)
+
count({<Dummy4= {'1'}, DateType = {'Created'}>} [Control Number])),

and

(count({<[Dummy1] = {'0'}, dummy2= {'1'}, Dummy3= {'1'}, DateType = {'Created'}, CanonicalDate = {$(vTwelveRolling)}>} Pkey)
+
count({<Dummy4= {'1'}, DateType = {'Created'}, CanonicalDate = {$(vTwelveRolling)}>} [Control Number])))

The only difference between these expressions is that one contains A Date Limitation using Set Analysis, and the other does not.

Now, using conditional formatting I can build off of your expressions.

vWeekMonth = 1 AND $(vSADate) 

for the first expression

and

vWeekMonth = 1 AND $(vSANoDate)

for the second expressions,

where

$(vSADate) =

(GetSelectedCount(CanonicalYear) = 0 AND GetSelectedCount(CanonicalQuarter) = 0 AND GetSelectedCount(CanonicalMonth) = 0 AND GetSelectedCount(CanonicalWeekName) = 0 AND GetSelectedCount(CanonicalWeekDay) = 0)

and

$(vSANoDate) =

(GetSelectedCount(CanonicalYear) > 0 OR GetSelectedCount(CanonicalQuarter) > 0 OR GetSelectedCount(CanonicalMonth) > 0 OR GetSelectedCount(CanonicalWeekName) > 0 OR GetSelectedCount(CanonicalWeekDay) > 0)

So, for me to be give my end-user the ability to toggle through both a Monthly and Weekly view, plus have set analysis limit each to 12 months and 12 weeks respectively with the ability to make their own date selections, i.e. 3 years of data, or >12 weeks of data, I have to create 4 variations of one expression.

I personally enjoy qlikview, but this seems to be a major limitation. I also find it very surprising that I cannot find any documentation on an end-user having a requirement like this. is it really the case that end-users want to see all their data on the X-AXIS and using the scroll bar, or only showing x number of periods using set analysis, but not being able to have the freedom to make their own selection afterward without doing what I've done above...

View solution in original post

14 Replies
annafuksa1
Creator III
Creator III

use in set analysis 'Month=' or 'Week='

for example

sum({Month=, Week=} Sales)

that way it will ignore any selection in Month and Week fields

Anna

lucasdavis500
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi anna. The issue I'm having is that my set analysis limits data to 12 month rolling or 12 week rolling. For example 12 month rolling shows all the way from December 2015 - December 2016. What if user want to make selection from April 2015. This is showing "No data to display" because of set analysis I believe. I would still like dimension limited to 12 month rolling using set analysis when end user makes no selection, but when they make a selection to disregard set analysis and let them freely choose.

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

What expression you are using?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can check if the user made a selection using e.g. GetSelectedCount( FieldName ), then branch into different aggregations with / without set analysis:

=If(GetSelectedCount( Year ) >0,

Sum( Value ), // no set analysis, consider user selection

Sum( {<Year = {2017} >} Value) // set analysis default year

)

Field Functions

annafuksa1
Creator III
Creator III

it will be for example

sum({<Date= (">$(vRollingMonth)"), Month=, Week=>} Sales)

you can use the same field twice if you need to.

can you paste your formula or an app ?

Anna

lucasdavis500
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi. see above for an example

lucasdavis500
Creator III
Creator III
Author

See above for example

lucasdavis500
Creator III
Creator III
Author

is this really how to do this? this seems like it should be easy to do in qlikview..... is this the only way to accomplish this?

annafuksa1
Creator III
Creator III

sorry

=count({<[Dummy1] = {'0'}, dummy2 = {'1'}, Dummy3 = {'1'}, DateType = {'Created'}, CanonicalDate = {$(vTwelveRolling)}, Month, week,year>} Pkey)

+

count({< Dummy4 = {'1'}, DateType = {'Created'}, CanonicalDate = {$(vTwelveRolling)}, Month, week,year>} [Control Number])

this way it will ignore any selection in fields MOnth, Week and Year