Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Incorporating if statements within variable expressions

Hello -

My data source has three columns:  Year, Country, Sales $ (sales dollars by different countries from 2008-2012).  In QV I created two variables called "Start Year" and "End Year".  I then created an input box with with these two variables.  From an end-user perspective, the user enters a "start year" (2010 for example) and an "end year" (2012 for example).  The results are displayed in a straight table, where sales $ are shown by country in "start year" and "end year" columns.  The expressions used to display are below:

Sum({$<Year ={$(vStartYear)}>}(Sales))

Sum({$<Year ={$(vEndYear)}>}(Sales))

I need to incorporate logic that says "if the year entered is less than 2012, divide sales by 1.3" (for either start or end year).  How do I do this?  I have other bar charts where I use the expression if (Year < 2012, (Sum (Sales)/1.3),(Sum (Sales)) successfully

(before anyone suggest that I just divide the sales totals by 1.3 in the source data, I'm simply using 1.3 as a proxy for this example.  In my actual QV solution, the "1.3" is a variable that can be changed by the user)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sushil353
Master II
Master II

you can test the if condition using a text box first.

i text box

try: if ($(vStartYear)< 2012,'YES','No')

if yes prints on text box that means the condition is working and then use the formula:

if ($(vStartYear)< 2012, Sum({$<Year ={$(vStartYear)}>}Sales) / 1.3,

Sum({$<Year ={$(vStartYear)}>}Sales)

HTH

Sushil

View solution in original post

3 Replies
somenathroy
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

Expr1:

if ($(vStartYear)< 2012, Sum({$<Year ={$(vStartYear)}>}Sales) / $(vFactor),

)

Expr2:

if ($(vEndYear)< 2012, Sum({$<Year ={$(vEndYear)}>}Sales) / $(vFactor),

Sum({$<Year ={$(vEndYear)}>}Sales)

)

vFactor = If(vStartYear < 2012 or vEndYear < 2012, 1.3, 1)

Regards,

som

udit_kumar_sana
Creator II
Creator II

Hi ,

You can evaluate the expression using date from which you have evaluate your year ,start year,end year...

if($(vEndYear)<=31-12-2012,sum({$<date={">=$(vStartYear)<=$(vEndYear))"}>}Sales)/$(vinput),sum({$<date={">=$(vStartYear)<=$(vEndYear))"}>}Sales))

here vinput is the variable to divide total as per user input when year is less than 2012.

Regards,

Udit

sushil353
Master II
Master II

you can test the if condition using a text box first.

i text box

try: if ($(vStartYear)< 2012,'YES','No')

if yes prints on text box that means the condition is working and then use the formula:

if ($(vStartYear)< 2012, Sum({$<Year ={$(vStartYear)}>}Sales) / 1.3,

HTH

Sushil