Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Linear regression Linest_M + Linest_B

Hi all,

I want to forecast the amount of orders for the coming months. I've created a master calendar which adds dates for + 1 year after the max date in the data (so that I can forecast multiple months ahead).

However, the linest_m and linest_b aren't calculating the correct numbers.

To calculate the forecast I'm using the following functions:

(LINEST_M( TOTAL Aggr(Count([Werkorder partner]), [Maand melding]), [Maand melding]) * NUM([Maand melding]) )+

LINEST_B(TOTAL Aggr(Count([Werkorder partner]), [Maand melding]), [Maand melding])

As you can see the X is 72,30, when I calculate it manually however I get: 903 / 8 = 112,875 and B -111,875.

I've tried forcing the graph to start in (0,0) with

(LINEST_M( TOTAL Aggr(Count([Werkorder partner]), [Maand melding]), [Maand melding],0,0)

but this returns x as 6945,5948???

The correct formula (I think) should be: 112,875X - 111,875. Just have to get qlik to understand that

1 Solution
7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The chart doesn't start at 0. It starts at Jan. That's the first 'row' of the chart.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

So you suggest I should use linest_m( ....,..., 0,1)? I'll test it tonight.

Not applicable
Author

I'm not sure if I understand the post, you suggest to rank the month dimension in the linest_ functions?

Not applicable
Author

Converting the dimension doesn't fixed the problem.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Could you upload a small sample QVW?

Not applicable
Author

Okay got the linear regression correct, as in equal to the one qlikview calculates. But I still think the regression should be 112,875X - 111,875 not 72,30x + 150,44 as qlikview calculates. I think this has to do with the fact that a count of the orders in january returns null, as well as okt nov dec.