Not applicable

Need help with set Analysis

Hi, I have a question on set analysis,

Scenario:

I have the following table with Data:

data.png

What I am trying to get is the the following:

1- Group the data in 15 min buckets --- Done

2- Count the number of Contact that match the following criteria on the same Bucket:

a- go from a "non-inqueue" ContactStateID to an "InQueue" ContactStateID --- Almost

For  #2 I am ordering all the corresponding ContactStateId's by ContactStateIndex and then asking:

Is the first StateID  the same as the first "Inqueue" StateId for this bucket?

If the answer is NO, then its because the switch happened.

Ex.

data2.png

It works Good, but only when 1 Contact is filtered

data3.png

This is good, since at 8:30 was exactly the switch from "non-inqueue" to "Inqueue"

But when both Contacts are shown

data4.png

Any Suggestions?

I have tried to make it work with Aggr, nondistinct, nested set analysis, and still no white smoke.

Thanks in advance for your time.

-Ed

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

How about this?

-sum(aggr(min({1<IsInqueue={1}>} Date) = min({1<IsInqueue={1}>} total <ContactID> Date),QuarterTime,ContactID))

And while not really anything you're asking about, consider doing something like this for your QuarterTime for display purposes:

dual(time(floor(timestamp#(CDate), 1/96)       ,'hh:mm') & '-' &

time(floor(timestamp#(CDate), 1/96) + 1/96,'hh:mm')

,floor(frac(timestamp#(CDate)),1/96)) as QuarterTime,

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

First I noticed that your timestamp is not properly loaded in the script. Since your data is a string you need to load is  as Timestamp(TimeStamp#(CDate)) to generate a poper TimeStamp value.

Following on that you should reset the Document formatting for fields so that they get the proper formatting. It can be a good idea to uncheck Survive Reload and instead control data types via the script. In this case you might want to also Reset the fields to "Default from Input"

Settings > Document Properties > Number

Using to complex calculated dimensions can easily cause decreased performance in your application, so it is suggested that you move the 15 min period expression to the script instead, and then set the loaded field as your dimension.

By adding the expression components as expressions you could get an idea of what is happening in your expression. In this case I am not really sure what values you re expecting on each row, so please clarify that for further support.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Toni, great suggestions in performance!

About the expected values on each row, I am jus trying to get a Count of Contacts, that did switch from Isinqueue={0}  to IsInQueue={1}  ContactStateId's.

This means that for bucket 8:30 the value should be 2, since both ContactID 1 and 2 came from a Isinqueue={0}  to IsInQueue={1}

Something like:

if(

FirstSortedValue(ContactStateID, [Date])

=

FirstSortedValue({$<IsInQueue={1}>}ContactStateID, [Date])

, Distinct ContactID

)

?????  but the script does not allow the Distinct.

Regards

-Ed

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I suspect QuarterTime should be a time instead of a timestamp.  You're not displaying the date, so it should probably be removed by using frac().  Unless you need it to be sensitive to selections (I'm not sure why it would be), you could establish a FirstIsInQueue flag for the first timestamp where IsInqueue is set for each contact ID.  

time(frac(floor(timestamp#(CDate),1/96)),'hh:mm') as QuarterTime,

if(IsInqueue and (ContactID<>previous(ContactID) or previous(IsInqueue=0)),1) as FirstIsInQueue,

Then you just sum the new flag.

sum(FirstIsInQueue)

Not applicable
Author

Wow, great suggestion John, sadly, when I posted the file, it was just a mock up of our actual data model, I actually have multiple tables that I am combining into a pivot table, so this is why I am trying to solve this at the expression level.

I was also trying to somehow, analyse the whole dataset by using 1<$> as in :

if(

FirstSortedValue({1<IsInQueue={0}>}ContactStateID, [Date])

<>

FirstSortedValue({1<IsInQueue={1}>}ContactStateID, [Date])

,Count(Distinct ContactID)

)

but FirstSortedValue  is not behaving as I expected.

Any suggestion on how, even at high CPU load, drive that sum?

Thanks a lot for your time.

-Ed

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

How about this?

-sum(aggr(min({1<IsInqueue={1}>} Date) = min({1<IsInqueue={1}>} total <ContactID> Date),QuarterTime,ContactID))

And while not really anything you're asking about, consider doing something like this for your QuarterTime for display purposes:

dual(time(floor(timestamp#(CDate), 1/96)       ,'hh:mm') & '-' &

time(floor(timestamp#(CDate), 1/96) + 1/96,'hh:mm')

,floor(frac(timestamp#(CDate)),1/96)) as QuarterTime,

Not applicable
Author

Wow John, it worked perfectly, i was trying to understand your approach but honestly, there are things I didnt even had used on set Analysis, can you please explain a little bit the solution?

I have a couple of questions:

1. why the sum gives a negative result?
  2. how exactly is that "total <ContactID>" behaves in the comparisson expression of your Aggr
  3. "QuarterTime,ContactID"  I didnt knew you could provide more than 1 dimention to an Aggr, Am I correct?

Thanks again for all you rhelp, I must admit, you rock!

Regards

-Ed

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

1)  The -sum() is taking advantage of the internal representation of true() as -1 and false() as 0.  So this:

-sum(condition)

Is equivalent to the more-easily understood:

sum(if(condition,1))

You might want to write it the second way.  I have a bad habit of squeezing every "extraneous" byte out of my code, sometimes at the expense of clarity.

2)  The total <ContactID> says to look at ALL Dates for that specific contact ID, not just the Dates that are in the 15 minute range associated with the row on the chart.  So what min({1<IsInqueue={1}>} total <ContactID> Date) is doing in this context is getting the very first timestamp for the contact ID where we were in queue.  Then the min({1<IsInqueue={1}>} Date) finds the same thing, but only within our 15 minute range.  Comparing them then lets you know if the first time we were in queue happened during our 15 minute range.  It's the same basic approach you were attempting, I believe.

3)  You can provide as many dimensions to an aggr() as you want, and providing more than one is very common.  These dimensions do not have to actually be in your chart.  It's as if you're making a whole new chart internally.  In fact, I often design more complicated aggr()s by creating a separate chart with the aggr() dimensions, and seeing if I get the result I intended before I finish the expression and put it back in the main chart.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks again John, very descriptive explanation!

-Ed