Qlik Community

QlikView Creating Analytics

Discussion Board for collaboration related to Creating Analytics for QlikView.

datanibbler
Esteemed Contributor

OMG - QV is driving me crazy - or rather, this QV-installation is...

I'm again facing the insurmountable difficulty that conditionalizing the display of worksheets JUST DOES NOT WORK - it's supposedly so simple: I enter the sheet_properties, type a condition for display (depending on a variable) and that variable is set to "show" when the user clicks a button on another sheet. Simultaneously a sheet, say, sheet_A is activated - and upon leaving it, the variable is reset to "no show".

So far so easy - it just doesn't work.

Possible that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't actually think so - an external consultant saw the problem already and ended up just shrugging his shoulders - if anyone can think of something I could try, I'm thankful for any help!

Very frustrated regards,

DataNibbler

5 Replies
msheraton
Contributor III

Re: OMG - QV is driving me crazy - or rather, this QV-installation is...

Can you upload the .qvw and more importantly go and chill for a bit.  Sometimes the besy way to solve a problem is walk away from it

MVP
MVP

Re: OMG - QV is driving me crazy - or rather, this QV-installation is...

I assume you are not setting the variable to "show" and "no show", right? But to a boolean or 1 and 0?

Without telling us any details about your implementation (i.e. expressions used etc.) it's really, really hard to help you.

datanibbler
Esteemed Contributor

Re: OMG - QV is driving me crazy - or rather, this QV-installation is...

Hi,

thanks for helping!

@ msheraton

You're right, I was in a really bad mood yesterday. It's very stressful when such small things just don't work... No, unfortunately I cannot upload the qvw - it's a complete management document with tons of info in it, most of it sensitive I'm afraid. I had a hard time yesterday removing the actions laid down with every sheet - making a selection, usually for TODAY() upon opening the sheet and clearing it upon leaving. I tried using set_analysis to make the display on the dashboard_sheet independent of selections - usually, the display works only when selecting a specific day, TODAY() or (TODAY()-1) - but that didn't work out, so I stuck to making a selection.

That's  another problem I'm having with that sheet - but the most prominent one is clearly the conditional display of the remaining sheets.

@ swuehl

I am currently setting the variable to 'Y' or 'N'. I can try with 1 and 0, do you think that would make a difference? Let's see... that also makes it a bit simpler, I can just lay down a trigger to multiply the value of the variable with (-1).

P.S.: No, unfortunately it didn't work that way, either. I tried creating a new document - there it works. But that means tons of work copying all the diagrams and making sure they work as expected - and I don't know how long it will work...

Could that have sth to do with the fact that my QV version displays "Test version" at the top of the screen? I have no idea what I have here. Maybe deinstalling it all and re-installing would be a good idea?

flipside
Valued Contributor II

Re: OMG - QV is driving me crazy - or rather, this QV-installation is...

Hi DataNibbler,

Is "Test version" set under Document Properties > General > Title? I wouldn't have thought you need to re-install if the logic works in a new document using the same installation.

A couple of thoughts ... do you have a -prj folder for this document?  I have seen strange behaviour when these exist. Another area to check is your triggers - could a variable trigger be overriding the value? Maybe set up a text box on the tab with the button and copy the expression into it to ensure it does evaluate as you wish.

flipside

datanibbler
Esteemed Contributor

Re: OMG - QV is driving me crazy - or rather, this QV-installation is...

Hi flipside,

no, it is not in the document - it is in the software - at the very top of the screen, it reads like "QlikView - Testversion - [file_path]"

However, that does not seem to be the problem - on a colleague's machine which does not display this, it didn't work, either.

There is no prj folder - I don't even know what they are for... I can't imagine a variable trigger as I've created a new variable for the purpose, but I'll check.

Now I've taken a completely new copy and just copied the objects I already had, redone the variable (numeric) - now it works. The frustrating thing is, I don't know why, so I cannot be sure whether and how long it's going to remain so.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Community Browser