Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teppo_Ojala
Former Employee
Former Employee

Question about variables

Hi,

Does anyone know if this is possible or not in QV.

Can I call a variable with parameter-information?

One example: I have 5 KPI's and I have an expression, which has for example little bit set analysis and some other logic. In the set analysis I tell which KPI I am looking for, for example KPI={'5'}

I can of course write 5 varibles, one per each  KPI - but my question is: can I write only one variable and then use KPI as paramter when calling the variable.

This example is not a real one. I just have thought that this would be very useful in some cases.

Thanks!!

7 Replies
Not applicable

Hi

I use this trick very often in data analysis.

1) Create a variable KPI (Setting > Variable Overview)
2) Create an input box with the variable KPI 

Then go to Constraints panel > Predifined Values

Check Listed Value 

Example :     check   KPI1,KPI2, KPI3, KPI4, KPI5   

3)  Create a chart using generic formula  : 

Sum(  $(KPI) )

Hope it helps you

JJ

Teppo_Ojala
Former Employee
Former Employee
Author

Thanks, this is a useful tip too, but I am sorry this doesn't help me in this case. Or atleast I think so

My idea is (again for example) to have these KPI's listed same time in the sheet. I think you can't have 5 charts next to each other using one variable and showing 5 different KPI's with this inout field logic? If variables would be like finctions, this would be possible to do. Just by calling a variable like this =$(v_kpi_value(KPI1))

But this is nor possbile and I don't find out a work around for this. What do you think, would this be a good enhance request for new QV versions? I think I could find out use cases for this.

Not applicable

Toa,

Variable with parameter is possible. I could able to make it work with simple if statemen but not bale to do it with set analysis.

Check out out this application. hope this helps you.

- Sridhar

mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Yes, the solution provided by Sridhar is the way to do it... If you require more information about it, look for 'Dollar-Sign Expansion with Parameters' in the QlikView help.

Mike.

Miguel García
Qlik Expert, Author and Trainer
Teppo_Ojala
Former Employee
Former Employee
Author

Great,

Exactly the solution that I am looking for. Thanks for quick help!!

I managed to get Set analysis working with formula: 

sum({<KPI_trans = {'$1'}>} Amt)

Teppo

Teppo_Ojala
Former Employee
Former Employee
Author

One more thing. Any ideas why the textbox with two variable calls doesn't work. I tried to call the variable twice in one text box, but I can't get two sums as a result to this object. You can find this problem from attached qvw.

This is a minor problem, but I am just curious..

Thanks again,

Teppo

Not applicable

Teppo,

I managed to take the second set to next line, it started displaying the value. But no idea why the same is not working with single line .

Have a look at the application.

- Sridhar