Qlik Community

QlikView Creating Analytics

Discussion Board for collaboration related to Creating Analytics for QlikView.

ignaciol
New Contributor

Rain average by month over a period of years, when there is no data in a month?

I need to make a chart with the rain average by month, for a period of years. The only Dimension is Month and the average should be for the period of years including those that didn't rain.

I can not use the avg function, because on several years no rain has fallen. Which functions should I use ??

Thank you !!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MVP
MVP

Re: Rain average by month over a period of years, when there is no data in a month?

So you have data like this?

Year, Month,   Rain
2008, January, 5
2009, January, 10
2011, January, 5

And you want to show that the average for these four years is 5, because the missing year 2010 should count as 0?  I think this:

sum(Rain)/(1+max(total Year)-min(total Year))

Edit: Alternatively, fill in the missing data in your data model.  This would allow for the much simpler avg(Rain), and should calculate faster.

3 Replies
MVP
MVP

Re: Rain average by month over a period of years, when there is no data in a month?

So you have data like this?

Year, Month,   Rain
2008, January, 5
2009, January, 10
2011, January, 5

And you want to show that the average for these four years is 5, because the missing year 2010 should count as 0?  I think this:

sum(Rain)/(1+max(total Year)-min(total Year))

Edit: Alternatively, fill in the missing data in your data model.  This would allow for the much simpler avg(Rain), and should calculate faster.

Not applicable

You might want to analyze the months when there is no rain. Might be a value add.

Best Regards,
Vishal

IAMDV
Honored Contributor II

John - Simple yet clever approach. Thank you for sharing

Cheers - DV

Community Browser