Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Triggers in Version 9 and 8.5 (problem)

We've found that when we open a document using version 9.0 and add a macro trigger and then save the document -- that the triggers will not be there when the document is opened with version 8.5. The triggers are still inside the document somewhere as they show up when the document is opened in version 9.0 again but they are not visible and they don't work when the same document is opened in version 8.5.

We have older documents that were created under version 8.5 and 7.52 and the triggers in those documents are visible and work fine whether the documents are opened with version 9 or 8.5. The problem only seems to affect triggers that are added to a document using version 9.0. It has affected triggers using the OnAnySelect event or the OnActivateSheet event.

Has anyone else run into this? Does anyone have a solution or workaround? Our workaround right now is to do development using version 8.5 for any document that might need to used at a client using the 8.5 (or earlier) version of QlikView or the OCX.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Tim,
It's not a good idea to open - and save - QV document in a earlier version which doesn't support all functions that you've used creating it in a later version. I'd expect it to break.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

my 2¢: don't do any development on 9.0 till every client is v9.0

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Tim,
It's not a good idea to open - and save - QV document in a earlier version which doesn't support all functions that you've used creating it in a later version. I'd expect it to break.

Not applicable
Author

is there a list of functionalities which don't work in v9 when created in earlier versions, or the reverse ?

a clean and tidy reference list would be useful

Not applicable
Author

We're careful never to utilize new features and expect them to work in an earlier version. I would never expect set analysis to work in a document opened in version 7.52, for example. But, triggers have been around for a long time and, although they've been moved to different dialog boxes and some terminology has changed, we originally expected the triggers to be safe to use. Normally, the older features work fine no matter what release is used. QlikView has always been very good in this regard.

A curious thing here is that the old triggers are displayed properly and they work properly whether the document is opened with version 9.0 or 8.5. Only the new triggers added while the document is opened with version 9.0 are affected.

Not applicable
Author

For anyone who's interested--

The method we are using to provide people with the ability to open a document with version 8.5 even though they have version 9.0 installed is to put a copy of the version 8.5 QV.EXE program into a separate folder on their desktop. They can start the v8.5 QlikView by double-clicking the QV.EXE program and then using File->Open from the menu or clicking on a previous document in the previous documents list. One thing to look out for: when you double-click on a .qvw file to open it you must make sure that it has opened with the version of QlikView that you intended (most Windows PCs will tend to run the program that was most recently used).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Same here - I have at least five QV versions on my desktop, and have to be careful what to use.

A couple notes...
Macros have been around for a long time. Triggers is not a just terminology change, it's more than that. In fact, we had a similar problem recently. It was especially annoying because the broken file was working properly in QV Developer but not on QV server.
In general, I agree that QlikView has been good in supporting older documents in the newer versions, but I wouldn't say "always" and "very". Had a few experiences, most recent probably with Expand/Collapse API, and with the behaviour of the loosely coupled tables.