Qlik Community

QlikView Creating Analytics

Discussion Board for collaboration related to Creating Analytics for QlikView.

mohammed_tariq
New Contributor

Re: Understanding Join, Keep and Concatenate

Hi John,

Many thanks for looking into this.

Basically I have a system table with columns (A,B,C,D) in the table 1 (meta data) with values in rows. Now I want to add some more data like alpha, Bravo to the same fields (A,B,C,D) but can't seem to find an exact way to do it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mohammad.

Highlighted
sod
Contributor

Great overview.  Whenever I need to explain the Join, Keep, and Concatenate commands to anyone who is learning QlikView or Qlik Sense scripting, I always showcase this post to highlight the different ways to transform tables.  Thanks!

Not applicable

Qlikview ---> CONCATENATE

SQL ---> UNION

ACL ---> APPEND

Same thing; Different syntax

Btw, great explanations John!

Not applicable

Very good one, and indeed helpful.

Not applicable

One point of clarification, while the Left Keep and Right Keep would show all the remaining "Key" index values, 1,2,3 or 1,2,4 respectively, in table boxes, the actual data is not as pictured above.  In the left keep, Table2 will not have a value of 3 in the Key field, and in the right keep, Table1 will not have a value of 4 in the Key field.

To see this, load in the data, go to the Table Viewer, and then (in the case of the Left Keep) Preview data and you will see there is no value of 3 in this table. (as pictured below)

The values will show up in the front within a Table object due to the tables being linked on the Key field and the value of 3 still existing in Table1 (in the Left Keep case).  I assume this is what is meant in the post, but pictorially above it doesn't quite send this message.

Thanks.

Not applicable

This sounds like if you wanted to concatenate table2 under table1, not joining.

meet_purushu
New Contributor III

Nicely explained,

everest226
Contributor III

nicely explained

andrespa
Valued Contributor

Absolutely one of the best explanations I've ever read. I've always come back to this anytime I need to explain the same concepts to someone or just to refresh my mind.

Best regards,

Andrés

Not applicable

Thanks a lot.