Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Understanding the InMonths function

I'm having great difficulties understanding the InMonths function. I have read the documentation several times and created simple tests, but I cannot find the logic.I was thinking I could use it to check if a date lies inside a range prior to the current month, ie. now when it's November I'd like to mark prior 3 months including August, September, October. In December I'd like to mark September, October and November etc.

I could use the following:

InMonth(MyDate, Now(), -3) or InMonth(MyDate, Now(), -2) or InMonth(MyDate, Now(), -1)

but IMO that's a very ugly solution and not very reusable when I need to include, say, last 15 months.

Here's my unsuccessful test:

LOAD

If(InMonths(3, MyDate, Now(), -1) , 1, 0) AS 'Prior 3 months',

If(InMonth(MyDate, Now(), -3) or InMonth(MyDate, Now(), -2) or InMonth(MyDate, Now(), -1), 1, 0) AS 'Wanted result';

LOAD

Date(MyDate, 'YYYY-MM-DD') AS MyDate,

Test

INLINE

[MyDate, Test

2012-01-01, One

2012-02-01, Two

2012-06-01, A

2012-06-30, B

2012-07-01, C

2012-07-31, D

2012-08-01, E

2012-08-31, F

2012-09-01, G

2012-09-30, H

2012-10-01, I

2012-10-31, J

2012-11-01, K

2012-11-14, L

2012-11-15, M

2012-11-16, N

2012-11-31, O

2012-12-01, P];

I relied on this function because it worked fine last month. Now it doesn't. Could someone please explain me the logic of InMonths?

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think it could look like

If(InMonths(3, MyDate, Now(), -1,month(now())) , 1, 0) AS 'Prior 3 months',

Not applicable
Author

That seems to work, but I'd like to understand why.

Why does the documentation specify that N (the 1st parameter) must be (1), 2, (3), 4 or 6, and why are 1 and 3 in parentheses? Why is that a must? If it defines the range size in months, why can't I set N to any arbitrary number of months?

What is the purpose of basedate, if the first_month_of_year has to be defined as well? What has January 1st to do with this function anyway? The definition of this function is very unclear.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I am rarely using InMonths() function, if ever.

I assume it's just a more generalized function that may be used instead of InMonth() (if used 1 as first argument) and InQuarter() (if used 3 as first argument).

Instead of above expression, you can also use:

if(MyDate >= MonthStart(now(),-3) and MyDate <=monthend(now(),-1),1,0) as 'Prior 3 months',

which I found much easier to read and understand. And even much more flexible to adapt to e.g. periods like last 15 months.

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Hello !

And for this expression what can I use? I don't understand:

InMonths(3, MyDate, Now(), 0)

Please help me.

Not applicable
Author

Something like this:

If(MyDate >=  YearStart(Now()) and MyDate <=MonthEnd(YearStart(Now()) , 2),1,0) ?

I don't understand.