Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Calendar Objects to Create Variables

Hello,

I am interested in having two calendar objects that would then create variables.  The goal of this is to compare fields across a set of dates.  Therefore, I would like the first calendar object to set the first date while the second creates another variable for the second date.

Any thoughts on how I could get this to work?

Thank you!

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

You don't need to create variables for this. You need only two variables like vStart and vEnd and use them within your calendarbox (with min/max-date + date-formats). Then you have two options - one is to use an field-selection action triggered by changes on the variable and the other ist o use set analysis filter within your expressions like:

sum({< Date = {">='$(vStart)'<'$(vEnd)'"}>} AnyValue)

This is slightly different but I think it's helpful, too: Selecting Arbitrary Date Ranges - YouTube

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Let's say I have a field "Year", which I use as my calendar selection field.

How do I use what is selected in each calendar object in an expression or as a field in a table I create?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

In other words.  I want to select from  a set of dates in the calendar and have what ever date I select be a variable.

marcus_sommer

I believe you are thinking this too complicated - qlikview has (regulary build) an associative datamodel by which all data are linked per key-fields. If you made a selection all available data are then included within the views and calculations (unless you used advanced techniques like alternate states or set analysis). A good starting point is this here: Get started with developing qlik datamodels

If you want to compare data against various time-periods then you should use a master-calendar and create flags for these periods, many examples to these topics could you find here: How to use - Master-Calendar and Date-Values.

- Marcus