Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phuelish
Contributor III
Contributor III

Using the Dimension value as a filter

Hi,

This one's definitely beyond my ability, so I figured I'd ask for some help.  I'll preface the question with two limitations that I have:

1. I don't have access to the load script.  The back-end is maintained by another area, and I don't have anyway to change the underlying data structure.
  2. My company's firewall prevents me from sharing any Qlikview files.

Here's the problem...

I'm trying to combine data collected over two different time periods into the same pivot table.  The underlying data uses different field names depending on the time period selected (6 months or 12 months). In basic terms, I'd like to compare the product performance for the first six months with the product's performance for the first 12 months based on the fault reason (FAULT6 and FAULT12), the number of faults occurring (FAULT_Count_6, and FAULT_Count_12), and the cost associated with the faults (FAULT_Cost_6 and FAULT_Cost_12).

FAULT6 and FAULT12 use the same exact possible values, so I'd like to use this as the dimension.  I have a dozen expressions in mind, so it'd be very challenging to write a separate one for each possible FAULT value (8).

Is there a way to use the dimension value as a filter for another value?

I was thinking something like Sum({<FAULT6=,FAULT12=GetFieldValue(FAULT6)>}FAULT_Cost_12) where FAULT6 is a dimension, but this obviously isn't working (otherwise I wouldn't be asking )

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Best regards,

Frank

3 Replies
sunny_talwar

I am going to shoot a guess.

Sum({<FAULT6 =, FAULT12 = p(FAULT6)>}FAULT_Cost_12)

I still feel that you may not be able to share the actual data file, but may be create a sample so that we can understand how the data look like and what exactly are you trying to get out of it.

Best,

Sunny

phuelish
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Sunny,

I probably should have listed the specific things I had tried.  I had tried your suggested solution, but it unfortunately also did not work.

I'm not sure how to create a sample other than to type out the dimensions and expressions, and mock up what the final table should look like.  As far as I know, I can't access the back-end or load script, so I'm not sure what the raw data looks like.

If adding the additional information I mentioned will be helpful, please let me know and I'll add it in there.

Thanks again,

Frank