Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

VB Syntax Question

Hi Everybody,

I have a quick question on VB syntax. I have a short macro that selects the current year in the date selector field. The syntax looks like this:

ActiveDocument.Fields(

"Calendar Year"). Select YEAR(now())

Instead of using the now() function, I want to use a variable that stores the date of the last refresh. What would be the syntax to use a variable? I can't figure it out!

Thank you!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

you need to use another API GetContent to retreive the value out of the QlikView variable. Here is an example:

set v = ActiveDocument.Variables("Variable1")
msgbox(v.GetContent.String)

In your case, if you'd like to write it all in one line:

ActiveDocument.Fields("Calendar Year"). Select ActiveDocument.Variables("vLastReload").GetContent.String

Just be aware of the Date/Number formatting - what are you expecting to get out of the variable - the number or the formatted string? In order to ensure that you are getting the number, use function num() when you assign the variable in your script.

regards,

Oleg

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

you need to use another API GetContent to retreive the value out of the QlikView variable. Here is an example:

set v = ActiveDocument.Variables("Variable1")
msgbox(v.GetContent.String)

In your case, if you'd like to write it all in one line:

ActiveDocument.Fields("Calendar Year"). Select ActiveDocument.Variables("vLastReload").GetContent.String

Just be aware of the Date/Number formatting - what are you expecting to get out of the variable - the number or the formatted string? In order to ensure that you are getting the number, use function num() when you assign the variable in your script.

regards,

Oleg

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

An interesting variation is to use the extended search syntax with Select:

ActiveDocument.Fields("Calendar Year").Select " =[Calendar Year] = '$(vLastReload)' "

Same caveat applies re Date/Number formatting. But you can debug by testing the search expression in a listbox.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

You guys are both awesome, thank you so much for the help.

Not applicable
Author

Hello vwalker, Oleg Troyansky, Rob Wunderlich,

I have a similar problem. I have one field ReloadDate which carries only the date when the report was reloaded. I need to compare ReloadDate with current date in a macro written using VBScript.. so how can I do that? 

I tried with

set dte = ActiveDocument.Fields("ReloadDate").GetPossibleValues

if  (dte = Date) then

------------------

end if

But the type mismatch error occures. Also tried with

if  (dte.item(0) = Date) then

------------------

end if

But again "Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment: 'dte.item'" error occures.

How to fix the issue??

Please reply

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

GetPossibleValues returns an array of FieldValue which is going to take some extra processing. Instead how about:

If ActiveDocument.Evaluate("only(ReloadDate) = today(1)") then

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

No Rob that also did not work..

But i have done one thing...

I used this condition instead, in a variable

if(MakeDate(Year(ReloadDate), Month(ReloadDate), Day(ReloadDate)) =

MakeDate(Year(Today()), Month(Today()), Day(Today())), 1, 0)

This way I achieved what I needed to.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Oleg - I have been struggling with this issue for a while - it worked like a charm!