Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kristof_j
Creator III
Creator III

aggr by customer not efficient - suggestion for expression?

Hi   

In my model I have customers who used several kinds of transportation each month.

I want to have a expression that can give me how many customers used a combination of transportation.

I should also be able to select a few months and that the expressions keeps these months in account.

It works with an aggregation by customer but when I use the expression on 4 million customers it takes hours to calculate.

Any suggestion for an expression or another model?

In the qvw I made 2 models.

I used the model where each transportation is in a different column.

The other model would be better because there I have more details like the color.

27 Replies
kristof_j
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Well we need to be able to select the 3 types of transport.

Say that we have a list of Car, Taxi, Bus, Foot, Bike, Boat ... I then select Car, Taxi, Bus, the expressions should show that we have only customer A who has used these 3 types.

But if we select month 2, it should show that none of the customers used the 3 types.

And to make it more complex, we want to see all the combinations of the 3 channels.

So you'll get 8 combination (Car & Taxi & Bus, Car & Taxi, Car & Bus ...).

I think when we can solve the first problem we'll be able to solve this one.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Sorry Kristof - I don't follow the issue. My solution seems to be doing exactly as you ask.

With no selections the new table I added shows 1 customer used 3 types of transport and 2 customers used 2 types. When you select month 2, the table changes to show there is 1 customer with 2 types and 1 customer with just 1 type.  You can add as many transport types as you like and as many combinations as you like - the model will still work fine.

Jason

kristof_j
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Yes but I wasn't very clear in what we really want.

We want the user to select 3 types of transportation.

• First he selects Car and we want to know which customers used a car, lets say 10 customers
  • Then he select Taxi and we want to see the following:
    • 10 Car
      • 6 Taxi
      • 4 no Taxi
    • 5 no Car
  • Then he select Bus and we see the following:
    • 10 Car
      • 6 Taxi
        • 2 Bus
        • 4 no Bus
      • 4 no Taxi
        • 1 Bus
        • 3 no Bus
    • 5 no Car
      • 3 Taxi
        • 2 Bus
        • 1 no Bus
      • 2 no Taxi
        • 1 Bus
        • 1 no Bus

You'll get a venn diagram with 8 combinations

But we want to leave the option open to change, lets say Taxi into Bike and change the period to the last 2 months.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

That’s not very consistent…don’t you mean the following?

And do you actually want a Venn diagram output? Venn’s are notoriously difficult in QV. Your bullets below seem to indicate a pivot-table output.

• First he selects Car and we want to know which customers used a car, lets say 10 customers

• 10 Car

• 5 no Car

• Then he select Taxi and we want to see the following:

• 10 Car

• 6 Taxi

• 4 no Taxi

• 5 no Car

• 3 Taxi

• 2 no Taxi

• Then he select Bus and we see the following:

• 10 Car

• 6 Taxi

• 2 Bus

• 4 no Bus

• 4 no Taxi

• 1 Bus

• 3 no Bus

• 5 no Car

• 3 Taxi

• 2 Bus

• 1 no Bus

• 2 no Taxi

• 1 Bus

• 1 no Bus

kristof_j
Creator III
Creator III
Author

A pivot table would be an alternative but our users aren't very good with pivot tables and we are trying to make it visually more appealing.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

So what exactly do you want to output, ideally? Given that the possibilities may expand you need something that will grow dynamically. Or you can create something fixed.

kristof_j
Creator III
Creator III
Author

We want to see something like a pivot chart but then with text objects.

First a user selects a channel and he sees how many used the channel and how many not

• 10 car
  • 5 no car

Then he select a second channel and sees:

• 10 Car :
    • 6 Taxi
    • 4 no taxi
  • 5 no car
    • 3 Taxi
    • 2 no taxi

and then a third ...

But in a better visualization than a pivot chart, like a static venn diagramm. With static i mean that the leaves of the venn diagramm always have the same size but we start with 1 leaf and then 2 ...

This probably means that we should use 3 selection boxes with all the channels in an alternate state or data island.

And we want it to take the months into account.

If a customers used a Car in January and Taxi in February and selects all months --> customers used Car and Taxi.

But if the user selects February than the customers only used Taxi.

It's the time aspect that is keeping us busy.

We can solve this with an aggregation by customer but when you use is for 4 million customers then QV needs to calculate for several minutes.

MarcoARaymundo
Creator III
Creator III

Hi!

Look this model.

I hope to helo you!

kristof_j
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Marco

We should be able to select the channels dynamically.

In the model there are only 3 channels but we have maybe 9 channels and not all combinations are relevant.

We want to select 3 out of 9 channels and we want to be select the period.

MarcoARaymundo
Creator III
Creator III

Ok!

Try version 2