Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

[newbie] how to encrypt data (scrambling or randomizing)?

Hi, I'm newbie to QlikView. I basically want that my team could load existent data (eg. CSV file) to QlikView without see the real data values inside the file.

Is there a way to load data to QlikView and change values (not field names) at runtime? I thought:

1) using Rand() function

2) using Scrambling

Can you explain me the difference between 1) and 2)  and how to apply them to the following script, eg to the Population(mio), Pop. Growth fields?

LOAD Country,

Capital,

[Area(km.sq)],

[Population(mio)],

[Pop. Growth],

Currency,

Inflation,

[Official name of Country]

FROM

src\Country1.csv

(txt, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Go to Settings > Document Properties > Scrambling

From the help:

Document Properties: Scrambling

This page is only available when working with a QlikView document in ADMIN mode. It provides the possibility to scramble the data in one or more fields.

Fields

This is a list of all fields in the document. Select one or more fields for scrambling.

Scramble

Press this button to perform a random scrambling of the contents of selected field(s). Numbers are scrambled to numbers and text to text (spaces are kept). Once scrambled, the data cannot be recreated in its original form by QlikTech or anyone else. If you re-execute the script, however, the scrambling will be lost.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Maybe try:

LOAD Country,
     Capital,
     [Area(km.sq)],
     [Population(mio)]*Rand()     AS     [Population(mio)],
     [Pop. Growth]*Rand()         AS     [Pop. Growth],
     Currency,
     Inflation,
     [Official name of Country]
FROM
src\Country1.csv
(txt, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);

Hope this helps,

Jason

Not applicable
Author

That'w work Jason, thanks. Do you think a hidden script is a better solution?

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hiding the script won't randomise the values...

daveamz
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Lorenzo,

One solution would be `Security Access`. See the file attached.

Regards,

David

Not applicable
Author

Hi Dave, your way is interesting, it explains me hidden scripts and can be useful in the next future, thanks.

However I understood that the use of hidden scirpt it's not my way because I'd like to let users play with data and build charts using (thats the point) fake data values and same data structure/columns.

So far the best solution is rand(), but what about scrambling? what exactly is it?

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Go to Settings > Document Properties > Scrambling

From the help:

Document Properties: Scrambling

This page is only available when working with a QlikView document in ADMIN mode. It provides the possibility to scramble the data in one or more fields.

Fields

This is a list of all fields in the document. Select one or more fields for scrambling.

Scramble

Press this button to perform a random scrambling of the contents of selected field(s). Numbers are scrambled to numbers and text to text (spaces are kept). Once scrambled, the data cannot be recreated in its original form by QlikTech or anyone else. If you re-execute the script, however, the scrambling will be lost.