Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

32bit system running out of steam

Hi all,

Our 32bit system (Win Server 2003 Std/4Gb RAM/Xeon 4 x 3.40Ghz CPU) is running out of steam and I need to think about an upgrade.

Are there any recommendations for hardware specifications when upgrading to 64bit (Win Server 2008) - for example to achieve the same performance (as a benchmark)?

I have done some performance tuning including reducing document time-out - does anyone know if using the /3Gb switch on the server would be taken advantage of by QVS v9sr4?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

There is no /3Gb switch when using 64 bits.

-Alex

Not applicable
Author

I was referring to 32bit to improve performance.......

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

The issue is not " are same files on same computer work slower in 64 bits?" , is "how many days until load is too high for 32 bits?" . That is the moment when random programs die with "out of memory" = server is unreliable.

-Alex

suniljain
Master
Master

Dear Gordon,

pls check attached file. I am sure it will help you.

Regardsl

Sunil

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Sunil,

I am also trying to get a feel for what would be a reasonable specification/cost. For example, if a 64Bit system with 12Gb RAM and similar CPUs as my 32bit environment gave me the same level of performance as I currently have, then I could reasonably ask for 24Gb RAM/better processors to improve performance by a factor of 2.

So, I guess my question is 'what are the relative requirements of 64bit compared to 32bit - 2x RAM? 10x RAM? More processors?'

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

A 64Bit system with 12Gb RAM and similar CPUs as my 32bit environment is already "bigger" than the 32 bits.

CPU wise , there is no difference . The bottleneck is memory (or lack thereof)

-Alex