Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

64bit Server ODBC

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my QV Server software from 8.5 (64bit)to the latest version of 9 (64bit also) on a 64bit Windows 2003 SP2 machine.

Under my previous setup I had a bunch of batch scripts that kicked off qlikview.exe with the /r flag to reload the data each day but I would now like to migrate these to tasks within the QV Management Console.

The old scheduled tasks used 32bit QV and 32bit Oracle ODBC drivers when refreshing. Now however when I setup reload tasks in the Qlikview Management Console they fail due to being unable to connect to the Oracle ODBC source. I am pretty sure this is because I require 64bit Oracle ODBC drivers on the machine???

Does anyone know how QVS determines which Oracle home to use on a server? I would like to have both the old 32bit ODBC and the new 64bit ODBC drivers running side by side until I have got all my scheduled tasks migrated.

Thanks!

Matt

3 Replies
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Matt,

QV 64 bit doesn't do any special job of determining which drivers are 32bit, it is a Windows thing - because QV is a 64bit application, it only has access to the 64bit system and therefore won't even be able to see that there are 32bit drivers there.

32bit QV on a 64bit server will be able to see 32bit drivers.

You need to get the latest Oracle data access components which have 64bit versions.

Stephen

Not applicable
Author

Thanks. With both installed on the same server though how does QVS know which ORACLE_HOME to use? Does it matter what order the 64bit and 32bit Oracle installs are listed in in the PATH variable?

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

QV doesn't care where the home is - that is a driver configuration step.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if Oracle 64 and 32 drivers share a Home location (and I don't see why not) with TNS configuration, etc. - these are really just config issues.

Once the ODBC driver is configured (BTW, I prefer the OLEDB driver for performance) in Windows then QV just consumes it.

Stephen