Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

8.5 to 9.0 PubUpgrade.exe

Can anyone tell me why I get "the Current Database is up to date " message when I run the upgrade tool? Just started to play around with this and I dont understand. I have set up an ODBC connection to our SQL DB and everything looks right. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

As far as i know, the PubUpgrade,exe is only for the files needed by the Publisher tobe converted from 8.5 to 9.0 syntax.

(in 8.5 you could create a schedule task and run multiple job on that task, in 9 you create one schedule for the first job and the second depends on the sucess of that schedule first job and the third job of the success of the second job and so on (chain))

This Tools doesn't check your QVW files oder ODBC connections or anything else but only the XML Files

Best regards

Michael

Not applicable
Author

OK. Thanks Michael. I am going to do some more reading and try to figure out why the upgrade tool isnt working for me. I'm sure its my fault, I just need to understand things a little more. Thanks for your reply.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The PubUpgrade.exe from 8.5 to 9 can be tricky when using SQL Server for QVPR. Problems arise because the V9 install comes up using XML QVPR by default. Here's the sequence I've found to work.

1. In your QV8.5, migrate the repository to XML.

2. Do the V9 install and the PubUpgrade.exe to upgrade the XML repository.

3. Delete the old 8.5 QVPR from your SQL Server (take a backup first).

4. Migrate the V9 repository to SQL Server.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Is there a way to run the PubUpgrade.exe against a SQL repository after the files have been converted to V9? If we were to follow the steps above, we would be changing our production data on our production server. We planned to copy all the files to a new server and then run the pubupgrade.exe.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Check with support to find out if there is a way to get PubUpgrade to point to a location other than active.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for all your info Rob. I have submitted a ticket to support. I will post the results.

Not applicable
Author

Here is the ticket:

We are in the process of upgrading from 8.5 to 9. We have a test server that has been upgraded and has QV9 installed. The issue we are having is that our repository is SQL based, not XML in 8.5. When the files are copied over and the db connected to the new server, the pubupgrade.exe program doesn't see the SQL based repository. We need a way for the pubugrade.exe to point to a non XML source (SQL DB) so we can use all of the 8.5 reload schedules/properties for the 9.0 QVW's. If this will not work, the jobs will have to be recreated in our 9.0 environment.

Get this when the pubupgrade.exe is run

The current database is up to date.

Here is the reply:

You must 'migrate' the Repository to XML in 8.5 before doing the upgrade to v9, as the Upgrade Tool only runs against the XML Repository, not the SQL. So you will need to put 8.5 back on the server, reattach to the SQL QVPR, then in the Control Panel for 8.50 go to the Settings Menu and the Repository settings and check the Migrate checkbox, which should populate the XML repository on the server, which on 2008 will be Program Data\QlikTech\Publisher\Command Center\QVPR. You should see the xml files in the QVPR folder and the file sizes should be sizeable on some of them depending upon how many tasks/jobs etc you have created.

Once you have the QVPR migrated to XML, then you can rename the entire QlikTech directory above after uninstalling 8.5 again, and then install v9. After v9 is installed, follow the QVPR upgrade instructions in the QVS Reference Manual for v9 beginning on page 237, Chapter 24 - Publisher Upgrade Tool. Please note you must stop the Command Center service only, then copy the QVPR folder from the renamed QlikTech directory into the corresponding directory in the new QlikTech directory path, and then you should be able to run the QVPR upgrade tool to convert things.

Once this is done, then you should be able to get into the QEMC after starting the Command Center service again, and go to the System tab Setup menu and click on the Command Center there and to the right on one of the tabs will be the repository settings, and you can then 'Migrate' things back to SQL server at that point, and you may want to backup the old SQL repository and wipe it and let v9 create a new one etc on the SQL Server.