cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

AJAX license use on browser refresh

I note that on QVS9 SR4 when an AJAX user refreshes the browser, another document session is opened on the server. This is a real license killer in the Session CAL environment. Has anyone else noticed this and found a workaround? Is this working as designed?

Any way to send an explicit close to the server via ajax?

Thanks,
-Rob

8 Replies
Not applicable

Answer from Gustav in Support:

Expected. The refresh will be a new session since qvs doesn't know if it's the old or new session. The Ajax session will hold the session cal until it hits the timeout which is 1800 seconds by default.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Thanks Jason. I have to confess to also double posting this question with Support. My aplogies to Gustav if he winds up with the ticket.

-Rob

Not applicable

Jason, is it the same issue with the IE plugin?

-Jerrik

Or
MVP
MVP

Rob Wunderlich wrote:I note that on QVS9 SR4 when an AJAX user refreshes the browser, another document session is opened on the server. This is a real license killer in the Session CAL environment. Has anyone else noticed this and found a workaround? Is this working as designed?

This is the primary reason I don't let users access anything via AJAX.. it eats up licenses, and you wind up with angry users complaining about having their sessions disconnected while they were in a meeting or on the phone. Sadly, it doesn't seem like there's any technological way to send a "Still alive?" question to an AJAX client session, as the same problem exists with other web-based BI tools.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Jerrik wrote:is it the same issue with the IE plugin

No, refresh in IE plugin does not use another license. I'm using the Plugin instead of ajax as a workaround for this particular problem.

-Rob

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Or Shoham wrote:Sadly, it doesn't seem like there's any technological way to send a "Still alive?" question to an AJAX client session, as the same problem exists with other web-based BI tools.

I understand V10 will provide an explicit "logout" button for ajax users. That may help address the problem.

-Rob

pgdavis2
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Is this only a problem with SR4? What happened in SR3 when a user hit refresh?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

pgdavis2 wrote:Is this only a problem with SR4? What happened in SR3 when a user hit refresh

I think this issue has always been there.