Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

ActiveX vs Ajax resources

When we use AJAX interface for a Qlikview Document store in the server.

Sure that it is the server resources are in use (Memory and CPU).

When we use ActiveX installed in Internet explorer. Is it the resource of the local PC or the server ? Memory and CPU ?

Thx

5 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

My guess (I'm not sure 100%) is that in both cases the answer is the same. The aggregations are done by the server and the rendering is done by your computer (client). Think of it as if you see a webpage with a very big picture. The server can have a very good connection and processor and retrieve it and send it to you very quickly, but your browser may take time to display it.

So when you have a chart and you click on one values of one dimension, QlikView Server first does the required aggregations (using its memory and CPU) and "sends" you the chart with the new results. But these results may take time to be displayed in your computer.

It's worth noting that when the QVP protocol works (i. e. port 4747 is open), the Plugin connects directly to the Server, whilst AJAX will always use the Web Server (whatever it is QVWS or IIS), so the AJAX client should take longer to get the chart because there are some communications between the WebServer and the Server the browser has to wait for and that are not performed when the Plugin accesses the Server.

Check the server reference manual in any case.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

Not applicable
Author

This is what i think too. But i am not sure at 100%.

Somebody tell me that when you use ActiveX the resource of the local PC is used. This is why i open this post

I can''t see an answer in the server manuel

Thx

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

I do am sure about that part: all aggregations are done in the server. The ActiveX will need local resources only for its own work (if you have dozens of processes running you will render slower than if you are running only Internet Explorer.

Regards.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

There are minor differences on what the server does vs the client wether Ajax or Plugin are being used.

For example, Ajax gets an image for graphs while plugin gets the data and renders it on the client side.

Server while use a few more resources to build Ajax pages than when sending information to plugin.

Ajax does a continous pull for all objects on a sheet until they are all calculated by the server and will cause more server resources to be used on this as well.

Not applicable
Author

ok thank you very much

Regards